Bachman HO EMD F7 Sound Value Equipped

Started by Russell F, April 01, 2020, 08:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell F

Have four F7 that i purchased new one year ago. they have all failed to proceed individually whilst in service on a DCC Layout. Sound responds to the throttle but no motor movement. Is there a Factory Default Reset CV to restore original values or are the decoders poor quality and prone to failure? Should i replace/upgrade the decoders? Any advice appreciated.

the Bach-man

Dear Russel,
Try setting CV8 to 8.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

rich1998

That is what I do when a decoder is wonky. I also recycle track power. The headlight should flash sixteen times as I recall. Been some years.

Rich

Trainman203

I've never had issues with Sound Value decoders other than wishing they had a couple more features,

Russell F

decoders will not accept CV8=8 and will not reset.

jonathan

You did not mention which DCC system you are using.

Some systems require you to lay a 1K ohm resistor across your programming track in order to the system to be able to read/write to the decoder.

Regards,

Jonathan

Russell F

Using NCE Powercab Also running other Bachman locomotives and other brands without problems

rich1998

Well that is strange. Four locos.
I have the NCE Power Cab but have not used it for a few years.
I will have to think about it.
It always worked with different brands of decoders including SoundTraxx which are in the locos.

Just thinking, did you cycle track power? After cycling track power in about six seconds the headlights should flash about sixteen times indicating a reset.
I have a thread somewhere indicating this. I think Hunt said it.
Always worked with SoundTraxx decoders and others as I recall.

Rich