News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loksound equipped

Started by mrmel0, April 02, 2020, 03:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmel0

Do locomotives that are "dcc/loksound equipped" means the sound is ready to go? Do I need another device for sound? Where does the sound broadcast from - the locomotive?  I'm about to purchase a "DCC sound value Econami equipped" locomotive for my Bachman EZ COMMAND module on EZ track. Will I have everything I need to hear sound, or must I purchase a sound box or something? All help with these various "sound equipped" locomotives is greatly appreciated.

jonathan

mr. mellow,

From what you describe, you should have everything you need.  The sound value locos will actually produce sound in both DC and DCC--though it will sound and operate better on DCC.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

Look up on the diagram page for the loco. You will see what it comes with. It should show.

Rich.

Trainman203

Loksound is a competitor DCC / sound decoder to Soundtraxx products like Sound Value, and others.  I presume it is a catchy abbreviation of "Locomotive Sound."

mrmel0

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 02, 2020, 05:56:05 PM
Loksound is a competitor DCC / sound decoder to Soundtraxx products like Sound Value, and others.  I presume it is a catchy abbreviation of "Locomotive Sound."

On that note, does "Locomotive Sound", aka, LoKsound work with the EZ Command? Ready out of the box (programming  involved understood)?

Trainman203

I don't have anything equipped with Loksound.  But I don't see why not.  I and my friend have engines with decoders by at least four outfits and they all run on his MRC system, or my NCE system.  I'd have a hard time understanding why not Loksound either.

Len

In general, LokSound decoders are looking for 4ohm speakers, while Sountraxx Tsunami and TCS WOW sound decoders are looking for 8ohm speakers.

Also, LokSound decoders are "multiprotocal", meaning they'll work with Motorola®, Selectrix® and M4 systems, in addition to DCC. The exception is the "LokSound 5 DCC", intended for the American & Australian markets, which is a straight DCC decoder without the additional protocal capabilities.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

I guess LokSound has changed a lot over the years.
Many years ago I converted a couple 44 ton and a 70 ton to LokSound 3.5v decoders programmed by Litchfield Station and they came with 32 ohm speakers attached. Had to make baffles.
Quite nice

Rich