News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC-Ready 4-6-0

Started by dcclocoman, April 04, 2020, 04:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcclocoman

I just received my new Bachmann item 52202 52" 4-6-0, and I am preparing to install an 8-pin decoder.  It does not run on DC, which I presume is correct.

There are no instructions on how to install the decoder, or how to disassemble the tender.

How do I disassemble the tender to access the decoder connection?

Thank you.

rich1998

I have a couple 4-6-0's. There should be a couple screws under the front of the tender. Been some years.
Mine came with the DC adapters in the box.
Cut the caps. Marked with a C.
What looks like green resistors are inductors. No resistance. Marked with an L. Moot point with no caps.
With a good decoder, Back Emf is affected by caps and inductors together.

Rich

graywolf

That is not correct. You bought a new loco ---it must run on something. It is DCC ready but should operate on DC until you change it over to DCC with the decoder install. There should be a jump plug on the circuit board in the tender which allows the loco to run on DC. When you change over to DCC that jumper is removed and the decoder plugs in there.

rich1998

graywolf

Mine came with decoders and adapters in the box. Mine ran on DCC. I never ran them on DC.

Rich

bapguy

Look at diagram. 2 screws 10489 X2 should be removed to get the shell of. On front of tender.   Joe
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HOBALDWIN4-6-0(DCCREADY).3.pdf

dcclocoman

Thanks for all of the responses.  There is no jumper in the box.  I'll open the tender to see what's inside...hopefully no jumper, which would explain why it does not run.  I'll post my findings later today.

Trainman203

If you are having difficulty getting the tender open,  maybe a paid tech should do the install.

dcclocoman

The tender opened easily, and there is an eight-pin jumper installed.  I checked it for continuity, and it is OK.  The locomotive is therefore faulty, and I have ordered an exchange from the retailer.
Thanks again to all for your advice.

rich1998

Good point.
I found the tenders easy to open.

A DZ126PS is a good small decoder with a plug and a short harness. Good for one amp.
TCS has a better decoder with a plug. Do not remember the number though. Check their site.

Ricvh

Trainman203

Good idea, about flawed new models.  Use the warranty.  Punt.

dcclocoman

I'm going to use an XL 0001911 decoder which includes sound.  I test-fitted it when I had the tender open, and it appears to fit.  The XL unit includes a thin 18mm speaker, which fits under the existing circuit board.

I've converted seven old diesel locos using XL 0001611 sound decoders.  I have six more (equally old) which I'm going to covert to DCC.  None of them are DCC ready.  At $29 per decoder (including speaker) they are a great buy.  The included speaker is of mediocre quality, so I use MRC 1519 speakers for better sound.  The 1611 has a choice of six prime mover sounds which allow me to select the correct prime mover for each locomotive.

rich1998

Nice to see you have the experience. You should do ok. Nice to experiment.

Rich

graywolf

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

graywolf

I just looked at the XL site and am intrigued by what they have and the functionality they describe. I have a Bachmann GP38-2 sound value which I paid $92 for and was thinking of changing the decoder. But since the engine didn't cost much I was reluctant to install a Soundtrax decoder that cost as much as the engine. What experiences have you had with the XL and how would you compare it with the Bachmann sound value? Also looking at the model 1915 for this engine.