News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Headlamp issue?

Started by mrmel0, April 06, 2020, 05:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmel0

A novice to the hobby, I have up and running an EZ Command system. I purchased an EZ track set that came with everything to get started, including the EZ Command module with 2 locomotives (no sound).

I've notice that when one of the locomotive's derails, the headlight flickers. If I have it solidly on the track, there's no light.

This happens for both locomotives. A QUESTION, PLEASE: Do I have to use the EZ Command to program the headlamp to work? Otherwise, what's happening? Why do the headlights flicker when the locomotive derails and as I try to re-rail it, but when it's running on the track - nothing.

HELP, if you can, please.

jonathan

With DCC systems, the decoder is the device that provides the signal to the headlight, not power to the track to the wheels.

When you have a derailment, the signal to the decoder is temporarily lost.  When power is restored (wheels back on the track) the locomotive/s will start to move again. There must be a priority list in the decoder that signals the motor to operate first. It takes a certain amount of current, and time, for the decoder to send commands to the motor and headlight.

I have noticed over the years, that when I have a momentary loss of signal/current, the locomotives start to move for up to 5 seconds before the headlight comes back on.  You may notice this as well when you operate your trains. I consider it just a normal function of the decoder.

I hope this is what you are experiencing based on your description. I'm not a DCC guru... just going on guesses from experience.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

Have you read the E-Z Command instructions?
"F10 controls the lights on your locomotive."
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/images/E-Z_Command_instructions.pdf
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

A microprocessor controls everything on the decoder. When the loco derails the microprocessor halts because DCC is lost for a moment. Different than a DC loco.
The decoder needs a steady DCC voltage. No interruptions.

It takes a few seconds for the decoder to run normal and you might have to turn the lights on again.
If that happens to me I shut the DCC controller down first.

Rich

Longmore

What do you accomplish by shutting the DCC controller down first, Rich?

rich1998

Maybe protecting the decoder and Ez Command.
I have been working with digital electronics for many years. I take precautions.
Why develop bad habits. Some decoders are quite expensive..

Rich