News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recommendation

Started by saskay uchihaa, April 07, 2020, 09:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskay uchihaa

Greetings,

New to this forum and this world as well. i want to buy train for my drawing room wall butt have no idea from where to start ,which model to go with. either go with electrical or steam or diesel engine. will you guys please help me on this matter.

Highly appreciated

rich1998

Make sure you get one with nickel silver track not steel track. Steel track can rust over time.
No idea what scale you want. Too general a question. Sound or non sound.

Rich

saskay uchihaa

well room size is almost 15 X 15 Feet. So which scale gonna work in that area? What is the difference in between sound and non sound? are you talking about train sound during run on track or some thing else?

Len

Are you asking about a shelf running around the room above the doors, or a shelf layout at viewing height where you can see the scenery?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Bachmann is very much in the train set business.  I'd look at the on line catalog at the sets  and pick one you like.  I'd not buy a used set at this point, they are often fraught with an abusive history and accompanying flaws and breakage.

The sound equipped train sets often have an accompanying video where you can see the train run and hear the sound.  I myself love sound models but you may not.  Most train sets come with an oval of track to fit in a 4x8 space, the size of a standard sheet of plywood so a table can be made.  Do stay away from steel track as previously mentioned.  The track with Bachmann's train sets is an ingenious system called E-Z track, very easy to assemble and with a wide array of various trackwork pieces such as switches and crossings for future expansion .  There are multiple books and resources with expanded E-Z track plans.  Experienced modelers often move away from E-Z track but at your stage it is perfect for you.

There are many, many books and on line references about beginning in model railroading.  Surf and take your time.  Some have divergent ideas and approaches but eventually they start agreeing on key points.  Check out the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA).  Their site has a lot of help for starting out too.

Wooooh.  That's a lot.  Hope it helps some.  Get started today.  You'll never regret it. It is so much fun.  Report back to us how it goes.

Trainman203

One more thing.  Probably 80% of model railroading and available products are HO scale.  N scale, around half the size of HO, is a close second.  There are scales larger than HO but of course you get less railroad in the same space.  Myself, I think N scale, while allowing a more expansive railroad in a small space, is not a good choice for folks with less than perfect vision, too small to enjoy detail on models.  Also, the light weight can lead to erratic performance on less than perfectly clean track.

Not knowing your location and access to experienced hobbyists and model railroad clubs, it would be good for you to seek some out if they are around.

Good luck and welcome to our pastime.  Ask any questions. We are here to help.

rich1998

Some DCC locos have sound decoders. Sound in the loco.
Maybe you just want DC locos with no DCC decoders if you are new to this so watch what yoiu order.
DCC presents another challenge.
Bachmann sells two types of EZ track. Steel and nickel silver.

I have seen at a local train two day show every year a couple Bachmann DC train sets running for hours on their DC power pack that comes with the set. Bachmann reps always have a big display.
I would recommend a diesel or two to start off with. Easier to put on the track than a steam loco and tender.

Rich

saskay uchihaa

i am thinking like two side of the wall straight in the middle and the door side of the wall gradually up for the door and after door gradually down. and then remaining two side straight in the center of the wall. is that possible. if possible which model is suitable for that and which type of engine i will go with. i will make plywood wall for rail track. hope you guys are understanding my points and come up with best model for my purpose. 

rich1998

It would help if you could post a drawing of what you would like to do but you need a photo hosting site to do that.

Rich

saskay uchihaa

i want train track on wall in center of roof and floor. and for room door side gradually up to avoid door and then after door gradually down till middle of roof and floor. try to upload pic butt failed , dont understand why even file size is only 50 kb. share your email if possible. will send you there.

Terry Toenges

Something to consider if you are going to go up and over the door - A 4% grade (which is pretty steep for most locos) will take you up 4" for every 100" or 8 1/3'. If you have 15' long walls, you will only be able to go up and come down about 8" from the top of the door way.  
My doorways are about 80" high. If I came down 8" that would give me 72". That means the level part of my track would still be 6' high from the floor.
Even if you used all 4 walls to go up and down with no flat in between, you could only go up and come down 16". That still makes your lowest part of your track 5 1/3' high from the floor.
That's if you wanted to run around the room. If you just want to run back and forth along two walls, it is going to be pretty high.
You don't say if you just want to watch it run or if you want to do some operating with it like switching.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Quote from: saskay uchihaa on April 07, 2020, 01:19:24 PM
i want train track on wall in center of roof and floor. and for room door side gradually up to avoid door and then after door gradually down till middle of roof and floor. try to upload pic butt failed , dont understand why even file size is only 50 kb. share your email if possible. will send you there.

As I said, most all train forums require a photo hosting site like Photo Bucket for posting even a small drawing.
There are other photo hosting sites.

Look down in the General Questions forum. I think it is still there. You will need it in the future anyway.

I have not tried to lay out a train plan in may years. Eye sight not that good at nearly 79.

Rich

Trainman203

My recommendation is for your first layout to be a small simple one picked from a track plan book.  Start small to learn then move up.  You can build another railroad that's better later on,  or expand your first one. I've got one finished at one house, working on another at the other house, and getting ready to start one at a museum.

rich1998

Good idea if you have never done this before or saw what you want to do somewhere else.
Back many years ago I started too big. I had to cut way back and start over again.
You could search You Tube also for say, wall layouts.

Rich

saskay uchihaa

well searched a lot watch many videos. check lot and lots of models. there are many of them and still i have no idea which model to go with. to simplify almost 40 feet of track i have in my mind because of room size. so veterans members recommend me some models i will choose from the list. do remember almost 1 feet of upward track and one feet down ward track for the door side of the wall. so help me to choose. i prefer sound one. rest you have to tell me which type of track and engine etc etc.