Atlas Snap-Switches - Separate Panels for Same AC Connection?

Started by TheHighwayStar, April 11, 2020, 01:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayStar

I'm in the midst of planning a 30"x54" N scale layout using Atlas Snap-Track and remote Snap-Switches. I see that the remote switch machines can be strung together for easier access, and I plan on doing so.
However, the wires from the manual to the remote switch machines (and from the machines to the power pack) only run so far... and, as can be seen in the hypothetical plan here, I have two switches on the side opposite where the main switch panel–consisting of said joined-together switch machines–will be located... my question is, it possible to have two separate panels and have them wired to the same AC connection on the power pack?

Main power-pack connections are denoted by thick lines. Green track sections are flextrack/cut to fit.

James in FL

It is possible to do as you are asking.
Is there some reason you can't just add wire, rather than having another switch panel?

TheHighwayStar

Quote from: James in FL on April 11, 2020, 02:20:15 PM
It is possible to do as you are asking.
Is there some reason you can't just add wire, rather than having another switch panel?

I'm a complete novice at wiring, and don't have access to soldering equipment. I'm open to suggestions about improving the scheme.

James in FL

No need for soldering, you can use wire nuts.
Depending on running clockwise or counter clockwise only one siding works, meaning you can only reverse into one of them.
You need to re-think that plan so sidings can be backed into.
Replace that right hand turnout with a left for CW running, that would become a trailing point.

Good luck

Len

Or use the run around track to move the loco to the opposite end of the train for switching the facing spur.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Len on April 11, 2020, 03:37:18 PM
Or use the run around track to move the loco to the opposite end of the train for switching the facing spur.

Len

That would be my thought as well. Add a little interest to a simple layout.

Sid

jward

Not only is it possible to make seperate control panels for the switch controllers, you could also have seperate banks of controllers wired up to the same switch motors,
duplicate control panels. This comes in handy if, say, you have two power packs with each located in a seperate corner of the layout. You'll only be using one switch controller at a time, so you won't burn anything out if you use them normally.

A cheap and easy way to extend the control wires without soldering is to use pan head wood screws as terminals. You'd drive the screws into the wood of your layout board where you wanted to splice the wires, then hoof the wires under the screw heads just like you would at the switch controllers. Suitable wood screws can be found at any hardware store.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

I use these for extending wires when I don't want to get into under table soldering:
https://www.amazon.com/YXQ-Position-Terminal-Plastic-X3-0512/dp/B071WSDD2J/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=euro+terminal+block&qid=1586711731&sr=8-15

The can be cut into sections of 2 for power leads, 3 for switch machines, or however many terminals are needed in a particular situation. And there are holes for screw mounting between each pair of terminals.

They are available from most hardware stores, as well as Amazon.

Len

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

And multiple wires fit under a terminal screw, which is handy for connecting multiple switch machines to one controller.

Len