Everything Bachmann EZ track.

Started by mrmel0, April 09, 2020, 06:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmel0

Will a 240v-1.5A power source be enough to power 8 Bachmann remote turnouts?

Everything Bachmann - EZ Command, EZ track, Bachmann Locomotive.

the Bach-man

Dear Me (or you...)
Generally yes, since generally only one or two switches throw at a time.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ton N

Trainman203

I was wondering about 240 v also.  Way back before package window AC units got better, they ran on 240 v to overcome multiple inefficiencies.  You had to install a special electrical receptacle under the window it was to go in.

Boy, can you imagine a short at a track switch with 240 track voltage? ⚡️💥☄️🔥🌪😱😂🤪

plas man

Hi guy's -- I'm from UK and our standard mains voltage is 240 AC  and using a 3 prong plug/socket
live - neutral and earth .   maybee the OP was from UK , or has a pre owned set ?
hope this is of help .

Ton N

And I am from Holland.
We also use 240V AC.
The writer of this topic says 240V 1,5A and not what his secondary voltage is.
And the Bachman says OK to this question, oops.
From experience I can tell you that a led on 240V is spectacular , it explodes and only leaving two smoking connection wires.

Ton

rich1998

Common guys. He is reading the primary power pack specs. lol. You knew that.
Some of my power packs read the same. they are universal. 120 to 240.On his side of the Pond, they mighty be 240 only. He just did not say the output voltage. I saw that right away.

If he ever wants to fire a bunch, just build or buy a capacitive discharge unit. CDU.. It can fire a bunch.

Rich

mrmel0

https://imgur.com/a/J3QRg2m

This is the contraption I made.

The power source says  "INPUT: 100-240v - 1.5A 50/60HZ"
Then it says "OUTPUT: 14V=3A".

Is this enough juice to power 8 remote turnouts? Will this fry anything?

jward

As the Bach Man has stated, unless you are trying to throw all 8 at once you will have plenty of power. And i've never come across a situation in all my years of model railroading where i'd need to throw 8 at one time.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

At our old club there was a passenger terminal with at least eight tracks all converging and crossing each other with I don't know how many double slip switches.  Some of the computer crazy members who'd rather "geek" than "railroad" programmed God knows how many of them together in "power routing" or whatever you call it.  You couldn't get a train out of there without following some "route" they'd dictated upon us.  I'd try to throw only one switch when all the rest ahead were lined ok, but no, you couldn't go the route you wanted but one the gods had preset.  The point is, I'd throw one by itself and a dozen or more other unwanted switch motors would all be slapping over. So yes, in that case, more than 8.  Way more.

the Bach-man

...but I bet the club didn't use one trainset powerpack!
; )
the Bach-man

Quentin

Here's another question about the EZ track: can you take the rails and ties off of the mock-gravel base?
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Len

Quote from: #athomehobbyist on April 25, 2020, 11:09:54 AM
Here's another question about the EZ track: can you take the rails and ties off of the mock-gravel base?

Only if you like destroying your track. There is a non-Bachmann code 83 track system designed to let you do that though.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Quentin

Ok, thanks Len. I will look into buying some of that track.

Keep on Railroadin'!
-Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

rich1998

If you want to fire a bunch, build or buy a CDU or a Snapper. Very simple to build. Circuit online.

Rich

Rich