News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger cars through the years.

Started by Terry Toenges, April 10, 2020, 04:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Here's a short video of different HO passenger cars from different eras. It took a little doing to get the earliest ones connected.
https://youtu.be/n9K6XOcslSc
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Does anyone know of a chart or picture that depicts passenger cars from the earliest to the current? I've searched and searched the web.
I have a book by August Mencken called "The Railroad Passenger Car" but even he jumps around in that from era to era and there aren't any pictures that show the progression.
I'm just looking for something with pictures that shows the different types and what years they were used and how they evolved.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

What's missing in that train are early full length wood truss rod cars, from around 1890 to WW 1.

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=palace+sleeper&CatID=THRP&OA=True

Terry Toenges

Trainman - Those were just what I had on hand. I did have some Mantua almost flat roof Civil War type ones somewhere too that I thought about afterwards.  
Bach-Man - I initially thought I had that book but I guess I don't. I do have White's freight car book. I'll get the passenger book.
I just curious about the different years in which these were made and used. I would have thought that someone would have done a chart like that. The Dewitt Clinton, John Bull, and Lafayette were easy because there is a lot of info on those. The rest are hard because there is so much info scattered around the net but I haven't found any kind of concise chronological thing with pics.
I also see where Bachmann has some cars with the more rounded end clerestory. I only had the earlier ones. I might get one of those.
I just thought it would be cool to go through the eras with the passenger cars. I was going to run each full train in a short clip and put the clips together. Then I had this idea with one car from each.
I tried two cars of each but 440 wasn't having any of that when I stopped it in front and tried to start again. The curves leading up to the front were too much and it was just spinning it's wheels. Once I got it going with a little push, it was able to keep going. Those long Santa Fe car are really heavy.
I had to carve down a horn hook coupler to real thin and shortened for the 4-4-0 tender. Then I drilled a small in the Dewitt-Clinton coach above the coupler hole. I dropped a round head pin through it and hooked it to the cut off horn hook. The Dewitt car hooked to the Lafayette car ok.
I have two John Bull sets. One is pin and draw bar coupled and the other had the modified type horn hook. I used one of the horn hook cars and and got a longer horn hook for one end and cut some stuff off of it so it would fit the pin on the Lafayette. On the other end of that car, I put a knuckle coupler. The coupling is pretty precarious on those first three so I have to take it slow.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here's another little video with my Dewitt Clinton cars and F7A's.  :)
https://youtu.be/KKKpBEoL7uw
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Bach-man - I took your advice and bought the two volume set The American Railroad Passenger Car by John White, Jr. I'm about three quarters of the way through the first volume.
I never thought that there would be so many different types and designs of passenger cars in the earlier years. The Pullman story part is really interesting. I always assumed each railroad owned all their cars but I see now that Pullman and others  leased their cars to the railroads. Even the evolution of sleeper cars is a really interesting read.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Feel like a Mogul.