News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Boss man needed:

Started by mrmel0, April 11, 2020, 10:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmel0

This is bachmann rolling stock. I dropped this, and for whatever reason, I can't put humpty back together again. Perhaps I'm missing a piece.

What kind of truck am I looking to purchase, gentlemen?

Len

it looks likd you're missing the piece that snaps down over the peg on the underframe that holds the truck in place. If you can't find it, you don't need to replace the truck. All you have to do is:

Drill the center of the post with a #50 drill bit.
Tap the resulting hole with a 2-56 tap.
Make a "washer" slightly larger than the mounting hole in the truck from some sheet styrene.
-- The heavy clear plastic some things come packaged in will do if you don't have any styrene on hand.
Drill a #41 or #42 hole in the center of the "washer".
Place some powdered graphite on one side of the "washer" and burnish using an old tea spoon.
-- While your at it, give the pad around the mounting pin on the car a shot of graphite.
Run a 2-56 screw of the appropriate length through the "washer", with the head on the unburnished side.
Use the "washer" and a 2-56 screw to mount the truck to the car.
-- Do not over tighten.

It's actually faster, and simpler, to do than the instruction make it sound like.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Looking at the car, it appears that the trucks are held on by a plastic king pin.  These pins fit through the center hole in the truck into a hole in the bolster on the car's underframe. They are a press fit. The head of the king pin has snapped off, leaving the broken shaft stuck in the bolster hole. You can probably remove the underframe  from the car body, flip it over, and use a small screwdriver to force the broken pin out. Then, i'd find an appropriate size screw for the bolster hole, and follow Len's instructions from there. Unfortunately, replacing the kinhpin in kind is not practical. Bachmann appears to only sell these pins with replacement trucks, not as a seperate item.

There is no need to replace the truck itself. It's not the problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mrmel0

THANKS, GUYS! Looking at it through a magnifying glass, I see the head has indeed broken of, the shaft still in the hole. You guys have led me in the right direction.

Trainman203

OR ......

You can refine your model railroad repair skills on this mid quality car that doesn't matter that much.  Remove the remaining truck, drill and tap both bolsters as per previous post, and install higher quality trucks by Kadee, Walthers, or the like.

jward

Why would you need to drill the bolsters? the holes are already there. Also that is a relatively rare N scale car with body mounted couplers. Micro Trains trucks (not Kadee, hasn't been Kadee for 30 years) are talgos with plastic wheels. That is a HUGE step backwards.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Is it really N scale?  Or is it a trick of perspective?😂

jward

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 18, 2020, 03:14:39 PM
Is it really N scale?  Or is it a trick of perspective?😂

It is definitely N scale. the chunky proportions of the wheelset give it away. When did you ever see an HO wheelset with that wide of a tread? And how about that thick metal axle? no need for them to be that thick in HO.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Never got that close a look at N scale