Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RDC

Started by Joe323, April 13, 2020, 10:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

Has Bachmann ever made RDC's?

Trainman203

Athearn did way back, check eBay.  Ever ride one?

Piyer

Quote from: Joe323 on April 13, 2020, 10:40:44 AM
Has Bachmann ever made RDC's?

Not to my recollection. Just Athearn, ATT (not the phone company), LifeLike / Proto 1000, and Rapido in HO, Kato and ConCor in N. 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Len

The Proto 1000 verstion was the best of the bunch until Rapido got there's out the door. A review of the Rapido units can be found here: http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/rapido-budd-rdc-ho-scale/

Having spent a lot of hours riding New Haven RDCs, I can say Rapido got them right.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

Just as an FYI, the Athearn units were/are about 10 scale feet too short.  The original version had rubber band "Hi-F" drive.

Nathan

The Original Athearn versions came out long before the rubber band drives.  I had one in the 1954 time frame, gear drive.

Nathan

Trainman203

The RDC was a descendant of the doodlebug , which Bachmann did offer in the past.  They probably thought that one self propelled rail car was enough.

Trainman203

Nothing like standing at the front door window of an RDC looking at the oncoming track.  Almost as good as a cab ride!

jward

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 14, 2020, 05:34:43 PM
Nothing like standing at the front door window of an RDC looking at the oncoming track.  Almost as good as a cab ride!

Or riding the front seat of a PCC trolley.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

DAVISinGP

Quote from: Len on April 13, 2020, 03:39:47 PM
Having spent a lot of hours riding New Haven RDCs, I can say Rapido got them right.

The September 2019 issue of Model Railroad News also has an extensive review.

And searching "rapido rdc santa fe" will bring up several videos of the RDC cars in Santa Fe livery (my favorite).

Caution: some of those videos are a bit painful to watch.

plas man

back in 1960's Tri-ang UK (HO/00) made one not sure of scale , but 1960's mould maker and portable layout's it could be under scale ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4jQzvEdq_4

Trainman203

Rapido saved a prototype RDC from scrap!  And restored it to operation!  Now that's what I call commitment!