News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC turnouts

Started by secrtwpn, April 17, 2020, 01:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

secrtwpn

In this time of idleness, I pulled out my Bachmann train stuff. I have two turnouts and a lot of track. I also have a DCC locomotive and the Bachmann DCC controller. My question is, is there a difference between DCC and non DCC turnouts??????? It appears I bought all the track in 2015.....

Thx
Farlan

Trainman203

No difference in my opinion. I believe that term to be hype.  I use Bachmann EZ switches, Atlas snap switches and Atlas custom line switches all together on a DCC layout with no thought to the matter.  "Power routing" switches may be a different matter but I find them a pain in the neck, a holdover from the old DC block control days.  Some will disagree and present alternative facts, let's hear what they have to say.

secrtwpn

So far, my research found that as long as I have the turnouts on a separate power source, such as a DC power pack, it will be fine. The DCC controller will be for the locomotives.......

Trainman203

I suppose.  All my switches are hand thrown so I'm not dialed into switch motor control.

jward

I have a friend who went DCC on everything. Based on my experience running his layout, i find DCC control of switches to be a pain. Instead of looking at a control panel and throwing the appropriate switch controller, with DCC you have to remember the address assigned to each particular switch, then remember which way is normal and which way is reversed. This may not be an issue for you on a small layout with only a few addresses to remember, but on a large layout it is an exercise in futility.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

The Bachmann DCC turnouts don't come with a controller or the wiring to hook up a controller. They are switched using the track power, too.
I just programmed the ones on my layout and it is a headache. I have them programmed in banks of two so it would be worse if I had each one separate. Plus, I have to either remember how the back ones are aligned or lean over so I can see them better. I have to figure an easier way to be able to tell.
I have little signs with the numbers on them stuck into the table by the turnouts and I keep a small 3" x 5" notebook close with loco addresses, turnout addresses and programming instructions. I keep the turnout page open when I'm running. At least for now, until I have them all memorized.
Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

I have the old switched, but I just ignore the electric switch and throw them by hand. The electric switch is a pain.
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS