News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New old time passenger cars

Started by Terry Toenges, April 18, 2020, 11:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

While I was doing On30 for a few years, I didn't pay any attention to what Bachmann was doing in HO. Now that I'm back with HO for a while, I was looking at different HO passenger cars. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Bachmann came out with "new" old time passenger cars with a full clerestory like the On30 Jackson Sharp cars.
I just wanted to say that I really like them. Especially the ATSF colors. I bought the combine. Now I have to get the baggage and a few coaches. They will look nice behind my ATSF 4-4-0.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

If you replace the handrails and truss rods with scale sized wire items,  you actually have a very nice car.  The carbodies themselves are very nicely and crisply molded with sharp detailing, including even the corner mounting brackets for kerosene marker lamps.

jonathan

I really like the new B&O pass. cars in the 2020 catalog.  I will get the new ones, as they should look very nice with my oldtyme B&O 4-4-0.  Got my eye on the smoothside cars as well.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

I ordered a baggage and three coaches. I agree that different handrails and truss rods would look better with wire but I doubt that I will do that.
The handrails are glued. If they didn't pry out, then I would have to break them off and redrill the holes. I would have to find metal rails that match the hole spacing. The truss rods and queen posts are all one piece. I would to have to find the right size posts and rods from somewhere.
If I had just plain wire and bent railings and rods myself, I guarantee that no two of them would look alike and I would still have to find the posts.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I know they are out there. I just don't want to start messing with perfect good cars and have them end up looking like somebody tried to modify them as in me.  ;)
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

My car is a rescue dog, a combine too, a beat up shell someone was going to throw away but gave to me instead.  It was painted in a god-awful neon circus scheme of some kind.

First I gave the car the Pullman Green paint it deserved.

I made my truss rods and handrails out of an old .012 guitar string.  I kept the old queen posts in place, trimming out the rod part and making a notch to receive the new wire truss rod. Also added a good brakewheel and staff on each end.

I'd put a photo up but me and flicker don't get along.

ebtnut

A suggestion to Mr. Bachmann - please do the old-time round-end roof passenger cars in coach green or Pullman green.  And maybe letter them Ma and Pa to go with all those nice 4-4-0's and 4-6-0's.  Please?

Trainman203

Seems like I remember those 1860's open platform cars being offered in undecorated Pullman Green.  Check eBay now and then.  I painted one Pullman Green and upgraded the handrails and truss rods, came out nice.

ebtnut

Yes, the 1860's cars with the duck-bill roof come in green.  All Bachmann needs to do is swap out the roofs since I'm sure the bodies are all the same.