News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trench loco operating on DC

Started by mst3kenc, April 24, 2020, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mst3kenc

Here's a question, how many have tried the trench loco on DC? Seems some of them sent to England won't work on DC. I tried mine here and it won't run on DC either, a Porter 0-4-2 runs just fine. Other people have said theirs runs on DC. I haven't messed with CV's since I will use it only on DCC. But it is odd since Bachmann locos usually are dual mode. Seems like it is random. Any ideas?

the Bach-man

Dear ALl,
It will, but it requires a filtered power supply.
What are you using?
the Bach-man

mst3kenc

I'm using a MRC 1370. I take it that the B-mann power pack is filtered. (Oops, guess not)Well, I just tried it with the B-mann gray power pack and it doesn't work either.  The 0-4-2 with sound works and the Heisler works but not the trench loco. Over on the Facebook On30 Raillroading, someone got theirs to run with the standard gray powerpack, but, I can't. Don't know what's going on.  I just got out my old MRC Tech 4 Railpower 250, same results except the Heisler operates all wonky, hit or miss on the sound, random reverses with throttle control. I think this is a pulse modulated power pack which is probably the problem with the Heisler.

rich1998

Some run them on Bachmann power packs over  here. Is the proper CV set to run on DC?

Rich

mst3kenc

I didn't mess with the CV's since I only run DCC. But, I decided to do it. If you program CV 29 to a value of 38 it does enable the operation with DC also 28/128 speed step and loco address 128 or higher. If you were to use a value of 6 then 28/128 speed step and DC operation are enabled. The question of course is why isn't DC enabled in all of these trench locos?  Default on a full WOW decoder is to have DC off. If you don't have DCC, you can't program CV 29, and if you only have DC you wouldn't have a clue what's going on. BTW, the trench loco doesn't really like the MRC 1370, no slow speed control, jerks a lot. I had to use the instruction for a full TCS WOW decoder to get these values. So I guess this problem is solved.

J. S. Bach

Does the loco come with a "shorting" plug top rep[lace the dcc chip?
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

mst3kenc

No "shorting plug", this loco has no tender, so all the electronics and speaker are shoe horned into the loco itself which would be hard to get at. Also no way to put another decoder in except with lots of work.

kovaks

It would sure be handy if Bachmann would publish a CV setting sheet for the Trench engines.  The TCS WOW-sound decoder programming is different than the Tsunami decoders that were installed in my other Bachmann On30 locomotives.  I'm not sure of which CV and/or what values to use in the case of the WOW-sound decoders because of manufacturer proprietary variations.  Trying to understand TCS WOW-Sound programming guide manuals sends my 72-year old brain into fits of dizziness.

I'm surprised that Mr. Bach-Mann has no answer for this issue other than dirty track and filtered power pack.  It seems that a lot of folks are having a problem with this issue, or just accept that it only runs on dcc with a weak-peeping whistle and jingly little ringy-bell that I can't figure out how to change also (yah, my hearing is 72-years old too).

Ton N

Yes, documentation on the decoder is to say the least sloppy.
That goes for the TCS site and also the Bachmann site.
I did some programming using this part of the TCS site.
https://tcsdcc.com/4CVSteamV4
And with JMRI using the TCS wowsound decoder.
It is not the correct decoder for this model but you can do some programming.

Ton

DanTheOn30Man

I don't mean to derail this Thread but i have one question is the Trench Loco full Diecast? Sorry my first time posting and using this forum.Thanks in advance

Ton N

Dan , i haven't thought about that but knowing from experience  how Bachmann constructs their models i would say no they are not.

Ton

DanTheOn30Man