Started by Quentin, April 25, 2020, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

Oh my gosh...😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Trainman203

I don't know, I'm not a kid.  Those kiddie tv train shows have bowdlerized, emasculated, and gutted the big, bad, and magnificent American steam locomotive to unrecognizable vanilla pablum. Choo-choo-whoooh-whooooh.

Quentin

😂😂😂

I have to agree with you there, Trainman. Those shows have (kind of) ruined the glory of the old steamers.
We're...
A...

Quentin

Well, I figured out the problem and the F9 is fixed! The problem was a loose drive shaft from the motor to the front drive wheels.
We're...
A...

jward

Trainman, if GEs rumble then so do those teakettles you run on your layout. EMDs growl and rumble because they are 2 stroke. Most others have that 4 stroke chug.

Tuwn up the volume and watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11J6Gx9520

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Yea. The DER I was on in the early 1960's had two stroke diesels that seemed to chug at low rpm when we moved at minimum speed. Two engines on one screw. Two on the other screw. Fairbanks Morse Two tied together. No reverse gear. Engines reversed.

Rich

Quentin

We're...
A...

jward

Quote from: rich1998 on April 28, 2020, 07:13:11 PM
Yea. The DER I was on in the early 1960's had two stroke diesels that seemed to chug at low rpm when we moved at minimum speed. Two engines on one screw. Two on the other screw. Fairbanks Morse Two tied together. No reverse gear. Engines reversed.

Rich

You've touched upon something most people don't know. Diesel engines are designed to operate in one direction of rotation only, But you can specify which direction that is when you order them. There were a few EMD locomotives built with reverse rotation prime movers as well. I wouldn't imagine that changing the direction of rotation of the crankshaft from clockwise to anticlockwise would have any effect on the sound they made. On a locomotive, the direction of travel was changed by reversing the polarity of the voltage applied to the traction motors, the same way we change direction in Dc model trains. This applies to DC traction motors only. Not sure how they do it in the asynchonous AC motors used under the newest locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA