F9 loco chugging but not rolling.

Started by Quentin, April 25, 2020, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

I have an Santa Fe F9 diesel loco that will not roll. When I crank up the power to the loco, it will start up and the light will light up, but it will not roll. This also has a DCC installed which is preventing me from viewing the engine. I have also checked the wheels to make sure they are still in working condition and they are. Any suggestions??

-Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

rich1998

Do a decoder reset.
CV8, enter 8. recycle track power. After about four seconds, the lights should flash sixteen seconds for a successful reset and the loco run on address three.
The specs for the EZ Command decoder are in the DCC page.

Rich

Trainman203

jward

You really need to get out more. In a world dominated by General Electric units, how can you NOT have heard a diesel chug?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Quentin

Trainman,
By "chugging" I meant "the engine starts up". I honestly have no clue what I was doing at the time!
We're...
A...

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 25, 2020, 02:10:45 PM
A diesel chugging?

Sure. I've got an F7A from when I went to the Digitrax factory training class that chuffs like a 4-8-4 and has a Hancock Long Bell 3-Chime whistle. I've also got a Mikado with an EMD 567 prime mover. The kids love them at train shows.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

I live 200' from the old L&N mainline, now CSX.  At least a dozen trains pass every with GE, EMD, whatever.  I don't bother to get up and look.  I saw plenty of steam as a kid and I can guarantee you, whatever is passing here, it might be making a lot of noise, but it ain't chuggin'!  😂😂

Quentin

Trainman, I think that is really cool how you live that close to the old mainline!

Len, I have seen those engines at train shows and I can agree with you about the kids loving them. I have loved those since I first saw them!

-Quentin
We're...
A...

jward

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 25, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
I live 200' from the old L&N mainline, now CSX.  At least a dozen trains pass every with GE, EMD, whatever.  I don't bother to get up and look.  I saw plenty of steam as a kid and I can guarantee you, whatever is passing here, it might be making a lot of noise, but it ain't chuggin'!  😂😂

I live 100 feet from the PRR main, and i STILL run to the window when one pounds by. Of course it helps i am about halfway up a 1% grade and they're chugging hard......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Quentin

yeah. My great-grandma lives near the Westville, Arkansas main (pretty sure it is BNSF) and it is on a 3% grade the entire way through the town. Those trains are coal trains, and they can be a mile long. Those things chug HAAARD
We're...
A...

Trainman203

Steam engines chug.  Diesels rumble.

Quentin

Ok, ok. Diesels rumble, steamers chug.
We're...
A...

RAM

The only mainline railroad near Westville, Arkansas is the Union Pacific.  Coal trains can and do have just about any railroad units.

Quentin

Union pacific! That's it. Thanks for the info RAM.
-Quentin
We're...
A...

plas man

back to the chug ... best tell the TV company to re name the Kids TV series Rumbleton  ;D
you know the one , it is called Chuggington    8)