How to remove DCC computer board (if it's even possible!!!)

Started by Quentin, April 25, 2020, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

So, I have this loco with DCC already installed, but I need to get down into the inner "guts" of the loco and do a little refurbishing on it. What is the best way to remove this thing without damaging it or taking anything off of it? I feel like I'm overlooking something, but I am not sure.

-Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

jward

that would depend on what type of decoder is installed. Look for am 8 pin socket on the circuit board that the decoder plugs into. If you have that, there should also have been a dummy plug included with the loco. It's as simple as removing the decoder and inserting the dummy plug.

If you don;t have the 8 pin socket, you probably have a hardwired decoder, and removing it will entail rewiring the locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Quentin

amazing. just amazing. I hope to God that it is NOT hardwired, but that it has a dummy plug!!!

Anyway, thanks for the help jward.
-Quentin
We're...
A...

rich1998

Take photos each step of the way and document. With digital, you can never take too many photos.

RIch

Len

It would help to know what loco you are working on. Knowing that would help locating wiring diagrams and decoder manufacturers instructions on how to proceeed.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Quentin

I'm working on the F9 loco from the digital commander set (the one in the war bonnet paint scheme)
We're...
A...

Len

I think the 'Digital Commander' set comes with an Alco FT-A. At any rate it has the DCC built in board, not an 8-pin plug style board. So some rewiring will be required, but nothing really hard. If the headlight is an LED, remember to wire a resistor in series with it.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Quentin

Thanks Len. I am planning on working on it later today. Will post here if I need help lol.
We're...
A...