The Overland Limited smoke system

Started by Quentin, April 25, 2020, 11:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

I have the overland limited steamer set (description on page 43 in the 2020 bachmann catalog), and it says that there is working smoke. Well, I have ran this thing for about 4 weeks now. I got this set wrapped up in newspaper from my grandpa, so I don't have the box or the instruction booklet to tell me how to work it! What should I do to fix the smoke, since none has come out to of the thing?

-Quentin

p.s.- I seem to have a lot of problems with trains today, don't I?
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Trainman203

Sounds like it wasn't stored well for a very long time.

Quentin

I know, and that is why I'm planning on taking it to a shop here in town for a little pick-me-up.
We're...
A...

Trainman203

If the unit worked way back but doesn't now the engine probably needs a good cleaning of all electrical contact points.  The smoke unit could possibly be affected.

That said, a number of modelers aren't fond of smoke in model trains .  It isn't very realistic since physics can't be scaled down, and after awhile it settles on everything around it in the form of an oily film. But if it's what you want, go for it. A good cleaning may fix it.

Quentin

We're...
A...

Trainman203

It's also possible, since you are reading the smoke feature in a current catalog, that earlier runs of this engine may not have had a smoke unit.  The repair guy can tell you, or maybe Some forum old timer would know.

Quentin

This is true! I never thought of that...

Thanks Trainman!
-Quentin
We're...
A...

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

I just did, and it barely worked. I'm going to go ahead and get all of the inner "guts" cleaned and repaired if need be, and then see if it works.
We're...
A...

Terry Toenges

When you said you didn't have the instructions on how to work it, I though maybe you weren't familiar with how they worked and that they needed the fluid.
Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

Oh. Well, I know how to work it, I just don't have the manufacturer instruction book that comes wrapped and folded in half. I don't have the box either lol.
We're...
A...

Trainman203

My Lionel 0-27 Hudson from when I was a kid had a smoke unit, using pellets however.  Years later I lent it to a guy and it wouldn't smoke.  He took the boiler off and cleaned the unit good.  After that he said he couldn't use it because it set off the smoke detector. 😂😂😂😂😂

Quentin

I have a story similar to that. I have an old Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer (O-gauge) that takes smoke fluid. Anyway, that train broke about 10 years back, and I just got it fixed about 5 weeks ago (bad thing on my part!). The smoke fluid that was last used in it was still in it, and it had clogged the smoke unit. After warming it up for about 15 minutes, the clog broke and a very thick, smelly, and continuous stream of smoke poured from the engine. that set my smoke detectors off, and the fire department showed up 5 minutes later. I spent the next half hour explaining what happened and they spent the next 20 minutes inspecting the train! Long story short, I had to pay a small fine for that false alarm lol.
We're...
A...

Trainman203

Haha, I read in a magazine that someone reported to police about a mysterious barn out in the country lighted up at night with cars around and guys going in and out.  Of course they were building a large layout.  When the police showed up and saw what it was everyone had a good laugh and they arranged a private showing for the cops' kids.

Quentin

Wow. I would love to have a huge layout but right now it is only a small one...

but in the future, it will grow!!

We're...
A...