News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Trench Engine

Started by kovaks, April 26, 2020, 06:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kovaks

I just received my little On30 Trench Engine - Beautiful! It runs fine on DCC, but I have trouble running it on DC/Analog.  It runs on DC, but very jerky. 
How do I correct this problem?

I tried resetting the locomotive to the original factory reset, CV8=2, but it didn't help.
It probably has something to do with the BEMF reference voltage adjustments, which I do not understand very well, and I am unfamiliar with the TCS "Wow Sound" DCC system.

Also, since I am hard of hearing, I would like to like to increase to whistle volume, but I can't find a Bachmann CV reference sheet to guide me in this adjustment.
Can the volumes be adjusted?

Please help me if you can,
Kovaks

rich1998

i saw a few years ago here, CV 8, enter 8. Recycle track power. After a few seconds the lights should flash sixteen times for a successful reset and the loco run on address 3.
Now you did say TCS. TCS has all the info at their site.
What decoder do you have?
Running on DC requires at least five volts DC just to wake up the microprocessor on the decoder and a couple more volts for the loco to move. Nature of the beast.
Since it is already working on DC a reset probably will not change anything. You can only make changes with DCC controller..

If you still have the EZ Command decoder the specs are right in the DCC page. Do take some time to look the complete Bachmann site over. Many new people never do.

Rich

kovaks

Yes, Rich, I did the reset according to the Bachmann Quick Start guide that came with the locomotive.  It said to reset the locomotive to factory default settings, program CV-8 to the value of 2.  I used a MRC "Decoder DR" on a test track to do this reset. 

Rich, the locomotive is the new Bachmann On30 little 2-6-2 "Trench Engine" that comes with TCS WOW-sound DCC installed.

Normally all my Bachmann locomotives run and sound great on DCC and DC/Analog, and I have had no trouble with the factory settings.  I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this issue, and that someone more knowledgeable about DCC programming the me has the answer to my jerky start/running on DC/Analog power. 

I am fairly new to DCC sound locomotives and got hooked after hearing my first DCC sound locomotive, a little over 5-years ago, but I feel that I know just enough about DCC programming to be dangerous to my locomotives.

Kovaks

rich1998

Ok. Sorry. Not aware that the loco came with TCS. I see that Bachmann is slowly going with TCS, a very good decoder.

Running jerky would tell me dirty track but you would have issues with DCC and you do not so not sure right now and it sounds like you do have enough DCC experience.
I would call the service department but that might take time or just forget DC. I have yet to hear of anyone having this issue or it could be the decoder under DC.
I never tried DC, only DCC. I use to but gave away my controller that could do that many years ago.

Rich

Bucksco

Could be your transformer. You need a "pure sine wave" to run properly in DC. If it is an old transformer or one with pulse power it would cause DC running issues.

Len

A "pure sine wave" output would be AC, not DC, and is usually used where MTH O-gauge locos are involved. And not a good thing for HO locomotives, except maybe Marklin. I believe what you meant was "filtered", or "flat" DC, as opposed to transformers that use 'pulsed' DC.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Quentin

I agree with Len on that. "pure sine wave" is ac power, not dc. just clean your track, check all power connections to the track and transformer. 
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

plas man

is the loco the same model & size as the Bachmann UK 00/9 gauge Baldwin 10-12-D  4-6-0 ?
I have 2 both 12 volt DC and are super smooth runners .
my controller is the basic Bachmann , as comes with their train sets .

rich1998

I just looked at the manual and Bachmann says it should run on DC. The Parts page shows the decoder is made for the loco. No place for DC adapter. What you see is what you get. I should have looked there first time.
Bachmann must have used their power back to check it out for DC. Sounds like you should return it for another model. Check the Parts for returns and call service. Not the best time.

Rich

kovaks

Hi Plas man, No it is not the same as OO/9.  On30 is narrow gauge 1:48 O-scale that runs on HO-gauge track. which scales down to approximately 30" gauge (ie: On30).

All of my other DCC locomotives run just fine on DC/Analog and DCC on my track.  I routinely run a Bachmann track cleaner car hooked-up with my trains to keep them shiny.  My DC/Analog power is a fine MRC Railmaster 2400 (previous comments are correct to ensure the "pulse power" is off), and my DCC unit is a MRC Prodigy Advance, but I do my DCC programming with Decoder DR.  So I think I have some fairly good power and programming equipment (I just don't understand enough about DCC yet).

Not all of my locomotives are DCC (ie: I built some custom analog "critters"), so my track is divided into two track circuits, so that I may run DC/Analog on one and DCC on the other, or parallel them both for either power

Quentin

Kovaks,
Can you send a picture of your track cleaner? Just curious to see it lol.
We're...
A...

kovaks

It's a Bachmann track cleaning tank car.  My photos are to big for this site.  I just widened the deck with some plastic diamond plate sheeting and edged it with Plastruct shapes, replaced the wheels for On30 with some a little larger, cutout every other rung in the step ladder, and added a larger dome hatch.

Quentin

Ok, thanks.
I might try something like that...
We're...
A...

rich1998

Quote from: kovaks on May 16, 2020, 02:20:09 AM
It's a Bachmann track cleaning tank car.  My photos are to big for this site.  I just widened the deck with some plastic diamond plate sheeting and edged it with Plastruct shapes, replaced the wheels for On30 with some a little larger, cutout every other rung in the step ladder, and added a larger dome hatch.

It should be common knowledge that you need a photo hosting site to post photos here.
Go down to the general Questions forum for instructions.

Rich