Another engine not working!!!

Started by Quentin, April 28, 2020, 05:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

Well, this time it is a F9 B&O engine, and it is an oldie. The thing lights up, but nothing else even moves. Any suggestions?
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

rich1998

Quentin

We're...
A...

rich1998

Pull the shell and see if the parts will turn. Might need cleaning and lub. might be a pancake motor version that old.

Rich.

Trainman203

Trainman203

Quentin, after long experience I've found that getting a new or nearly new locomotive is almost always a better and less frustrating deal that trying to revive an early technology corpse.

RAM

The only locomotive I have with a pancake motor, which I don't run anymore. It would not run, I could just flip the spring that holds the brushes, and it would take off and run.

Quentin

Ok, thanks for all of the info. I pulled the top, and it is a pancake motor. I will try flipping that spring, and going from there. If that doesn't work, I will run over to the local hobby store and see what they think. If everything fails, it will go on a display shelf!

Thanks again!
We're...
A...

Quentin

psyke, not a pancake motor. it is a motor that sits in the middle and has a large copper cylinder running to both trucks. what type of motor is that?
We're...
A...

Len

If it's 20 years old more than like the volatiles have evaporated from the old oil and grease, turning them into a fair approximation of glue. Some electrical contact cleaner that's safe for plastics should clean the old gunk out of the gears in short order. Then you can relube and see what happens. Note: The stuff has an odor, so best to do outdoors.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Quentin

We're...
A...

Quentin

Nothing ever ended up working, so I just put it on display and am now looking for a new B&O engine like it, just new. Thanks for all of the help though!
We're...
A...

rich1998

You might troubleshoot it with the condition the world is in now. See is the motor shaft will turn with no resistance.
Might be pickups which can be a pain with older locos.
Do you have a multi-meter for continuity checks?

Good luck.

Quentin

I do not have a multi-meter, but am planning on getting one pretty soon. I will just keep tinkering with the thing to see ifm I can get it to work.
Thanks!
We're...
A...

rich1998

I have four of the below meters for some years. Harbor Freight.

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm

I have been using meters for about forty years and these work just fine. I keep one in the car. Yhey are rugged and I use to easily misplace them. The expensive meter is in storage.

Rich