Thoughts on a Bachmann Spencer Redesign?

Started by GordonPacific04, April 29, 2020, 10:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonPacific04

As some may already know, the Bachmann model of Spencer is very block shaped in the boiler, and lacks the curvature and slope of the boiler used on the model in the TV show or on an actual A4 Pacific Locomotive. This was due to the moving eye mechanism. While it is a cool gimmick, I think I would prefer a model that looks like the actual Spencer model. The question I want to pose is this: Would you like to see a Bachmann Spencer redesign, and what do think the possibility of it actually happening is?

For me, I would love to see a Bachmann Spencer redesign. Spencer is a very iconic character and I want him to be represented as seen in the show. I know some don't have a problem with the current Bachmann model of Spencer, and that's fine. However, when I look at the model, my opinion goes from it's not that bad to it could be better.

Now would it actually happen? It's very unlikely. Spencer is the most expensive model in the range right now, and I believe the sales have been decent for a while. But you never know. Bachmann does seem to listen to the fans from time to time. Like when they redesigned James or Diesels face. I know Spencer would obviously take more time, but it would still be nice to see.

JLK2707

Perhaps, but you could just do a 3D printed model.

Cheeky_ULP

They need to redo Thomas, Percy James, Gordon and Henrys toolings before even considering Spencer.

Zekeism

Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on May 10, 2020, 11:42:38 PM
They need to redo Thomas, Percy James, Gordon and Henrys toolings before even considering Spencer.

While Thomas, Percy and James need better faces, what's wrong with Henry & Gordon?
Proud Bachmann Thomas Collector.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Zekeism on May 11, 2020, 05:53:24 AM
Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on May 10, 2020, 11:42:38 PM

While Thomas, Percy and James need better faces, what's wrong with Henry & Gordon?
Main issue with Henry is his tender is too short. If one wanted to get nitpicky, there's a lot of proportion inaccuracies to the TVS models, since Henry and Gordon used different references at the time.

Rodimus Supreme

If you're good at scratchbuilding, you could make a new Gordon, Henry, and Spencer using an HO BR-78 for the chassis for each of them. Two Märklin Gauge 1 BR-78's were used to make the original Gordon and Henry chassis back when they were making the first season.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on May 14, 2020, 10:56:55 AM
If you're good at scratchbuilding, you could make a new Gordon, Henry, and Spencer using an HO BR-78 for the chassis for each of them. Two Märklin Gauge 1 BR-78's were used to make the original Gordon and Henry chassis back when they were making the first season.
Yeah, but that depends on if you want Henry and Gordon to be HO Scale or OO Scale like the rest of the range.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on May 14, 2020, 11:41:38 AM
Yeah, but that depends on if you want Henry and Gordon to be HO Scale or OO Scale like the rest of the range.
Again, HO Scale BR-78's. They're made in HO Scale, as is Bachmann's range. Also, HO Scale and OO Scale are interchangeable because of being so close in size.

TTL

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on May 15, 2020, 03:25:52 PM
Again, HO Scale BR-78's. They're made in HO Scale, as is Bachmann's range. Also, HO Scale and OO Scale are interchangeable because of being so close in size.
2 things there:
1) Bachmann don't make range to HO scale, they make it to OO, measurements of the buffers have long since confirmed this as well as the simple fact that most of the rolling stock tooling is from the old Mainline range.
2) There's a fairly big difference between HO and OO, as seen here:

and here

and also here

OO is the bigger one.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Cheeky_ULP

Good information right up there. Gonna echo that statement; Bachmann only calls their Thomas range HO for marketing purposes in the USA, as that's the more recognized scale here. The range itself is definitely OO scale technically though, in terms of how all the engines are scaled. To add, the majority of the rolling stock is ex-Mainline toolings, which is British OO.

Kemptown Branch

To add, I have been working on making Thomas more accurate to his Series 1 model over the last year. Certain things have caused me to do measurement after measurement of the Bachmann model and several references of the Classic Series model. I can confirm that he's scaled to OO.
Here's a link to my work:
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150577-backdating-bachmanns-thomas-the-tank-engine-a-finescale-thomas-project/

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: STL on May 16, 2020, 03:37:35 PM
Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on May 15, 2020, 03:25:52 PM
2 things there:
1) Bachmann don't make range to HO scale, they make it to OO, measurements of the buffers have long since confirmed this as well as the simple fact that most of the rolling stock tooling is from the old Mainline range.
2) There's a fairly big difference between HO and OO, as seen here:

and here

and also here

OO is the bigger one.

Ok, now that annoys me. My ideal layout would have sections for British railways and US railroads, and now this is not doable without discrepancies.

Kemptown Branch

You could do a half and half layout. I've considered that a little bit, myself.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on May 22, 2020, 04:10:44 PM
You could do a half and half layout. I've considered that a little bit, myself.
Unfortunately, I can't make myself ignore the discrepancy, especially since I'd want everything on the layout to be all the same scale across the board.

Rodimus Supreme

Speaking of, would the Bachmann Narrow Gauge engines be 1:76 scale or 1:87 scale?