News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0 with DCC on Board

Started by Philc40, April 30, 2020, 11:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philc40

Since I don't have DCC and use Analog DC I removed the decoder and install the two triangular plugs provided to make the locomotive run in DC. The problem I encountered is the headlamp fails to light, thinking the jumper plugs were in the wrong position I reversed which corners, the locomotive ran but still the headlamp failed to light. 

Is this normal operation in DC analog or must it be run in DCC to get headlamp to light?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
"If I can't fix it, It isn't broke"

rich1998

The bulb should light in DC. Do you have the paper that came with the loco? It should show the proper way to plug in the adapter.
My locos came with two three pin adapters.

Rich.

bapguy

Check the 2  wire plugs that go into the tender. Make sure both are secured in place.   Joe

rich1998

The four wire plug has two wires for lights and two for the motor. One of the four wires might be broke loose. It does happen. Happened to me some years ago but on a 4-4-0.

Rich

rich1998

I guess you solved it of the bulb is burnt out but here is the socket.

https://tinyurl.com/ycnrutpe

I believe someone here but an LED in with a 1k resistor.

Rich

Philc40

It's the oddest thing, there is power going to the LED but of unknown voltage. When power pack voltage is increased the square portion of the LED just about comes on, the faintest of light, if you weren't looking you would not notice. It's possibly the LED itself.

At this point I don't know if I'll live with it or send it back to Bachmann.

Thanks to all who commented!
"If I can't fix it, It isn't broke"

rich1998

Right now it sounds like the voltage is too low. How much throttle are you using?
Some years ago I remember complaints about dim "light bulbs" in the 2-8-0.
I was not aware they switched to LED's.
There should be users of the 2-8-0 here.
My other Bachmann steamers had good lighting but I ran DCC.

Rich.

rich1998

Voltage is applied between pins 6 and 7. A resistor on the PC board limits the current to the LED. I have seen an LED respond with very low voltage like you mentioned. I hope you get back to us.

Rich

jonathan

The headlight on the 2-8-0s have always been dim, even the tsunami sound on board versions. I removed the bulb/led on all my Connies and replaced with my own led and resistor. I put the led directly into the headlight can, instead of using the plastic light tube in the locomotive. Makes a big difference.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

He is running it on DC. Different issue. No DCC so far. I do not believe he has told us what DC voltage is at on the track so far. The PC board or LED could be faulty.  Without nine to twelve volts to the loco he will not know.

I believe Bachmann might have put in a resistor to protect the light bulb. I heard a lot of complaints about the dim light. I never ordered the loco to measure the resistor if they did or it was the installation.
Doing a Google search, I found out someone did an LED conversion and it might have been here but I cannot find the install right now.
I know I have a DCC steam loco with a dim LED and the resistance is above 1K. I measured it a few years ago. About 2.5 k I think.

Rich