News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Screeching sound on NEW Alco FA2 locomotive

Started by hutchhj2, May 01, 2020, 08:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutchhj2

I am in located in Australia. I purchased a NEW HO scale Alco FA2 with sound value from Trainworld about 6 months ago, but never took it out of its box till yesterday, as I did not have my new layout wired up untill a few weeks ago. I have an extensive fleet of Bachmann locos, with which I have not experienced any problems, but this loco gave the following problem as soon as I put it in motion: A severe screeching in both directions, reverse being slightly worse. I have oiled the worm gears on both bogies, but no change. Thinking the sound part might suffer back feed noise I turned off the sound, but the screeching remained the same.
Anyone have any idea how to fix the noise problem? It would not do to send the unit back to the USA for repairs, so I am looking for constructive suggestions how to repair this unit myself?
Thanks in advance for any positive response. BTW I also have a B unit purchased at the same time, which runs perfectly!
Regards.
Hank
Retired engineer who likes Alcos

jonathan

I have a Bachmann diesel that made a screeching sound. Ultimately I found it was coming from the motor. I ran the loco for many hours and the screeching eventually stopped. Still runs fine to this day. Don't know if this is your problem, just sharing my experience with that sound.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Put a drop of light oil on the motor shaft where it comes out of both sides of the motor. Also, with the shell off, check that the flywheel isn't rubbing against anything. If it was pressed on too far it could be rubbing against the motor. If the motor isn't installed straight, it could be rubbing against the chassis.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Yeah, look around for telltale scrape marks all around where something could be rubbing.

Ton N

No, the inside holes of the bearings are a bit bigger than the axel .
When they are dry the axel will start rolling in the opposite direction of the axel's rotation inside the holes, that is what you are hearing.
It is a resonance.
Running it to long to dry will ruin the bearing.
Oil is the solution or in case of a old motor , a new on.

Ton

Trainman203

That answer really resonates! 😂😂😂

hutchhj2

Thanks, guys. I will pull the body off and have a look for scrapes. I had dropped a drop of oil on the driveshaft either side of the motor already, but that did not achieve anything. I also had it running the best part of half an hour in either direction. This has resulted in being able to run forward up to notch 11 on the 28 step scale without noise. Backward it still starts screeching as soon as I hit step 2. It now does run a bit faster in both directions though, so obviously it did need a bit of running in at least, being a new unit.

hutchhj2

In following up my last answer I pulled off the body (again). I could not discover any scraping marks, or mis-allignment anywhere. And as previously described, in forward mode the screeching still started at step 12/28 and in reverse in step 3/28.
After a bit of running with screeching and stopping I did notice the stopping did not happen as per the momentum programmed in by me, but rather abrupt.
This did indicate the drive train was binding somewhere, so I decided to loosen the screws of the little bridge at either end of the motor, holding down the motor. Each of the screws I loosened initially by a quarter turn and lo and behold there was a change in the noise produced! Luckily these screws are pretty tight and by easing them back a touch more by just over another quarter turn the screeching noise had gone completely! It now runs smoothly in both directions, with the programmed momentum included!
I am now a happy FA2 owner and can actually hear the inbuilt sounds :-) :-)
Thanks again for the responses.

rich1998

Congratulations.
Good troubleshooting.

Rich