Late 40's early 50 UP colors of interiors

Started by loosecaboose, May 06, 2020, 09:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loosecaboose

I just bought two passenger cars that have lighted interiors. I wonder what were the colors the Uncle Pete used on the interior late 40's - early 50's. All the photos I have seen are in black and white. I bought the Bachman combine and observation car. My layout is small, 4'10" by 8'. but I have rigged it to run in moon light (blue lamp bulbs) and with all the city lights, I feel it could only add interest to see people and walls, floors and furniture in color.

Trainman203

Why don't you try the Uncle Pete Historical Society.

Len

These are UP interiors from the early 50's. There were some variations between 'name' trains.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

loosecaboose

Thank you, those are much better photos than those I had researched.

Trainman203

Those photos.  Man.  How civilized we were in those golden days.  Is the 4th photo down a section sleeper?  I thought those went away with heavyweight cars.

The man and woman one seat back in the 4th photo look like a couple working on a divorce.😱😂

Len

The caption for the 4th pic down just says, "Union Pacific - Seats on a Pullman Dome Liner"

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

loosecaboose

I think between my search's, this forum, and the UP Steam club, I have several choices of colors to use. I never realized how many variations were used , sometimes in the same train. I guess that many trains were made up with not a matched set for a name train, but whatever was available. I can also see that I will have to paint the inside as light shows through the plastic.

Trainman203

I rode a lot of passenger trains way way way back.  These pictures bear out my memory of car interiors in general- light tan.