News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ turnout Problem

Started by Study, May 13, 2020, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Study

HO Bachmann E-Z Nickel silver track. All my turnouts are basic types with plastic frogs, except for my #5 Wye Turnout which has a metal frog, and is electrically gapped (Bachmann does not make a non-gapped type that I can find). I run both analog and DCC engines.  I have a problem with engines stopping when they cross the  #5 Wye Turnout.

prr22

I believe that this sounds like a problem with electrical continuity.  I faced this problem very often...  For me, I would spend so much time cleaning individual switches trying to get them to work thinking it was dirty track.  However, this is a very easy fix, but it depends on which type of layout you have.  Do you have a layout with a bus line that has feeder wires soldered to the track?  Or do you have a layout that is easy track snapped together with one plug into a terminal?

Let me know and I'll show you what to do step by step...

-Jay
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Study

My layout is easy track snapped together with one plug into a terminal

prr22

Okay well here's what worked (works) for me...

You will need some small stranded wire (I used 22 gauge), anything even remotely small will work.  I attached a photo of this below:  you will want to drill a hole through the hinge joint on each rail.  Be careful not to damage any of the moving parts underneath.  Feed each wire down through one of the wholes.  Any wire will do, color does not matter, if I fits through the hole it will do.  Strip off some of the coating on the wire ends above the track surface, poking through the hinges (nothing too small). Fit the wire into the hole just like you do when you are flossing your teeth.  Use a screwdriver, fingernail, or exact-o knife to press the wire into place.  Because we have used small gauge wire, no mobility problems will occur.  I use tortoise switch machines and have never had a problem, so I'm sure doing it with your hand should have no problems.  Now take these wires, and we need to find a way for them to touch anything that has power to it.  Now, making sure to kept the left wire on the left side and the right wire on the right side, take one of the connected wires and try to wedge it into a rail joiner or any other easy way you see of getting it to touch some point on a rail.  This has worked me for the past 2 years on my layout, with a bus line, however I do use atlas snap track and I suppose this method should be just as reliable on ez track.

Hope this helps a bit!

**had difficulty uploading the photo... here's a link to the photo on google drive:**
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w832K_XWQ7tBTi3Cp2uf9lSYedGD8J5N/view?usp=sharing

rich1998

Quote from: prr22 on May 13, 2020, 02:30:18 PM
Okay well here's what worked (works) for me...

**had difficulty uploading the photo... here's a link to the photo on google drive:**
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w832K_XWQ7tBTi3Cp2uf9lSYedGD8J5N/view?usp=sharing
[/quote

Hi prr22

The reason you could not upload a photo was you need a photo hosting site like photo bucket.
Scroll down to General Questions forum for an explanation. Most other forums require this but what you did works.

Rich

Study

prr22

Glad to hear!  Thanks for letting me know!

mrmel0

There's a renown model railroading enthusiast, Fifer. He has a "how to" video on just about anything n scale model railroading.

He has a segment on wiring a turnout. Not quite what one would think.

I used his method to wire the KATO double crossover, and what once wasn't working, now works nearly flawlessly.

When the issue is more physical, like a bent switch rail or something, rectifying the situation becomes more challenging.

Trainman203

He doesn't turn up on Google.  Link?

WoundedBear

Look up Mike Fifer on YouTube. He wasn't hard to find.

Sid

WoundedBear

Trainman203

I looked on Google.  My mistake.

Study

I have 2 EZ Turnouts 44561 and 44562 that do not work.  I am looking for the controller switch which fits inside the turnout, this switch is activated when the direction box calls for a left or right turn on the tack

WoundedBear

Quote from: Study on June 12, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
I have 2 EZ Turnouts 44561 and 44562 that do not work.  I am looking for the controller switch which fits inside the turnout, this switch is activated when the direction box calls for a left or right turn on the tack

I think this was asked and answered in this thread...

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,36850.msg271415.html#msg271415

Sid