News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann turnout with Atlas 200 Snap relays

Started by jimdavis88, May 22, 2020, 02:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdavis88

I have 21 Bachmann turnouts and am going to add 21 Atlas Snap relays to operate 21 block signals (red & green) at each turnout. Do I wire the Snap 200 relays in parallel or in series or combination of both, and how many on a single 16v circuit?

You guys/gals are the true experts and I sure could use some good advice.

Len

If you're only using it to control signal lights, the Snap-Relay is wired in parallel with the switch maching, like this:

Replace "To DS64" with "To Control Button", or whatever you're using to control your switches, if you're not using a DS64 for DCC control.

The DC power supply for the lamps connects where indicated by the '+' and '-' on the diagram. Don't forget a current limiting resistor if you are using LEDs. Whatever power supply you're using to control the switches should be fine for the switches with Snap-Relays.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jimdavis88

HELP!!!

I wired exactly like the diagram, but without the LEDs, additional power & ground. I wanted to test the snap switch before connecting the LEDs.

My turnout switch operated perfect until I added the snap switch, then it wouldn't operate. The snap switch moved slightly but not the turnout. I removed the snap switch and the turnout still would not operate. Using my multi-meter I discovered the turnout switch is now shorting the main power circuit and none of my turnout switches would work. So I disconnected this turnout from the power source and then all switches worked fine.

So I moved to another switch, same problem. Nothing worked after connecting the snap switch in parallel. I removed the snap switch 200 from the turnout and the turnout still would not operate. Somehow it killed the turnout switch. It didn't short  the power source like the other one, but it will not work now.

Why is putting the Atlas 200 snap switch wired in parallel killing my Bachmann turnout switches? I'm using a Bachmann transformer at 16v output.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about electricity and this on has me baffled. How can adding another load (Atlas 200), in parallel, with a very short power burst to operate, kill the other switch? I'm baffled. Can you help?

jward

Apparently your power supply isn't strong enough to operate two solenoids at once. When the switch controller button is pressed, all current is divided between the two solenoids, so each is probably getting only about half what it would if it was  the only load. Since your power supply is a basic one that doesn't have alot of power, your solenoids aren't getting enough current to operate. There are workarounds including a capacitor discharge circuit (this will also convert your circuit to DC but the solenoids will operate just as well on DC as AC) that stores a charge that will send a burst of power much stronger than what your power supply can provide alone. Or, if you have some basic electrical knowledge you can build your own simple power supply. I once did this from components from an old stereo, using mainly the transformer and fuse circuit. As long as your output is 12-16 volts you should be OK.

The burned out solenoid on your switch motor is another issue altogether. I suspect you held the button on the switch controller down too long. Switch motors are only meant to get an instantaneous jolt of current, They heat up fast, and if power is applied to them for too long they burn up.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jimdavis88

Thanks jward

With you information I'm buying a Peco Capacity Dischare unit,

I checked my Bachmann crossover turnout switch and its impossible to hold the button down and continue the flow of electrons. It automatically sends a burst and one can't get it wrong. So how did I burnout those two turnouts?

I'm using a Bachmann 16v transformer that deliviers 18v to all my switches. On the burned out turnout I checked the output on the switch. I disconnected the green cable from the turnout to the switch exposing three bare terminal output connects at the switch. Measuring from the center post to the one on the right, 0v, then center pole to the left, 18v steady, operating the switch does nothing. The exact same thing on the other burned out switch. It appears my wiring the snap switch in parallel and then operating the switch, apparently burned out the turnout and the switch. How can that be possible?, Dang this keeps getting more and more convoluted. Can you help?