Specs for the E-Z App boards in the parts store?

Started by aadst1, May 14, 2020, 02:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aadst1

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find the specs for the E-Z App boards that are now for sale in the Parts store? I haven't been able to find them anywhere on the site. I'm particularly interested in the max amperage, and what the connection points labelled "SC" on the board are for. I know BlueRail's original board could take a 2A stall and 1.2A continuous, which made it suitable for small G scale (or a 4-6-0 without traction tires), and I'm interested in putting one in a trolley or an 0-4-0 (Porter stalls at 1.6A and slips at 0.75A, and the trolley stalls at 1.0A). Then there are 2 other function posts available (LED3 and LED4), and the mysterious "SC." Thanks!

Grapevine Flyer

The EZ App locos are 1-amp, so it is probably the same.

If you need more than one Amp, you could consider one of the new BlueRailDCC boards. They are generally designed to control a DCC sound decoder, but you can also use them without a decoder (in basic mode). You have to get on their mailing list to get one (inventory is limited by CV19)

jward

Just to clarify. EZ App and BlueRail are closely related. But the are NOT DCC. With EZ-App/ BlueRail the control signal is transmitted by Bluetooth instead of through the rails like DCC. That should  make  these locomotives less sensitive to dirty track, and also opens up the possibility of battery powered locomotives controlled by Bluetooth on non powered track, something they refer to as dead rail. That would be impossible to do with DCC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

aadst1

Update: Success! I was never able to find the specs, but I did go ahead with the Porter install. The Porter was from a Clementine starter set (metal side rods, horizontal motor), and the board was stolen out of an EZ-App FT ($50 off Amazon some time ago; the FT chassis will be rewired to run directly off track power). The board is mounted in a side tank, and extends into the coal bin in the cabin. Splicing and soldering everything in was a bit of a pain (including replacing the Porter's original headlamp with the LED from the FT), but it all works. I'm using a 6A power supply from Amazon that has either 15.2 V or 18.1 V output (not as advertised, but close enough). Around a 4' diameter 180° curve, the loco starts slipping with 5 lightweight (Big Hauler or similar) freight cars and a bobber caboose, pulling 0.67A at 15.2V when fully slipping (caboose held in place). The board does not trip on overcurrent protection.

As for BlueRail, I'm well versed in it, and am on the waiting list for a G scale board for my Climax.