News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My 'power" board

Started by Terry Toenges, May 15, 2020, 10:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I was having trouble keeping track of my DCC addresses. I had a little notebook but I had to flip through pages until I get this all memorized.  I had the DC controller and the E-Z Command controller and was juggling those two when I had a DC loco running too. I have long cords on them so I can move around a little. I had a piece of bass wood that was the right size to fit both of them. I put velcro on the controllers and the board. Then, I made up a sheet with the address info and made it large enough so I don't nee my glasses to see it. I taped it to the board. This way, someone else could run the train, too.
NOTE: I modified it to include a small diagram on the board of the turnout addresses and program instructions. I removed the original pic here and replaced it with a new pic.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Now that's a neat idea! But why is Thomas #7 instead of #1? #7 is Toby's number.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Because I rarely run Thomas so I keep him on that side of the board. I won't get him confused with any of the other locos either. I might switch the addresses around again. Maybe steam on one side and diesel on the other. I could have put Mogul at 7 because it's 7082. This was just my first thoughts on doing this. I'll probably make changes as I go.
On the paper with the info, I put clear tape on both sides and then taped the edges to the board. That way I can just make a new one when needed and the old one is easy to remove from the board.
I thought about a small layout picture on there with turnout numbers. I could tighten up the text and make room for the pic. As it is now, I have small pieces of foam with numbers on them. I ran longs pins through them and stuck them by the pairs of mated turnouts.
I pretty much have everything worked out now with controls and track plan so now I can do something with the terrain. I might just put ground cover over the sheet because the board is really ugly underneath, I have been using it for different layouts over the years. It has with small holes and dings and some paint and some bare foam and bits of white glue. The sheet is like having a fresh canvas.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I have a question about the power supplies to the controllers. I have the wire going from the DC controller to the E-Z Command controller. I'm using the booster, too.
When I plug in a power supply to the DC one, the E-Z comes on also without a power supply connected to it. If I connect the power supply to just the E-Z, the DC one doesn't come on.
Can I use the whole set-up with just the power supply connected to the DC one since it also furnishes power to the E-Z via the connecting wire that goes into the DC hole on E-Z?
I would only have to use one power supply.
Feel like a Mogul.