Are Bachmann turnouts junk and I made a hugh mistake???

Started by jimdavis88, May 20, 2020, 10:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdavis88

I just completed a new train layout and used 100% Bachmann  E  Z Track (HO). My problem is the constant derailments at the crossover. And yes, my track and wheels are clean and brand new. I have weighted the cars to regulation standards. I have a Bachmann Stream Engine and the Tender will derail at the turnout with, or without any additional rolling stock. My diesel engine, running by itself, has no problem.

I've completely given up on trying to go in reverse in these turnout with rolling stock as derailments with rolling stock is 100%. Are these turnouts junk and I made a big mistake or is there some kind of fix or adjustment I can make.?

If this has already been addressed please direct me to that thread of emails. I'm desperate for a solution and need your help, thanks, Jim 

Irbricksceo

I haven't had this problem with mine for the most part, however I did have one particularly bad turnout that caused frequent derails. What I did was take a needle-file and file down the point so the transition from straight to divergent (when switch was thrown to divergent) was a little smoother. This fixed it for me.

Edit: Also possible that the cars/loco decoulper lever might be grabbing the point, I had that happen once too for a coupler that was a tad low, bending up the lever fixed that
Modeling NYC in N

jimdavis88

Thanks for the information and I hate to show my ignorance but when you refer to filing the point, what point?

James in FL

Hi jimdavis88,

Turn the turnout upside down and remove the screws.
Observe the rack and pinion gears.
If you turn the turnout right side up with the cover plate off you will have a mess.
Don't ask...
Be careful and switch the routes.
It may be possible the pinion is a tooth off and either not fully throwing the points all the way over, or not holding them tight when they get there.
A decade or so I posted a picture of this, but alas, it's gone.
Thread was here;

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,12085.0.html
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8792.0.html

Good luck

Irbricksceo

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/130510115592732672/712732969692823572/MVIMG_20200520_1425202.jpg

This is a picture of the turnout i filed, and the spot i smoothed is circled in red. Not saying this is your problem, just a possibility.

Edit: I Just noticed that You said its always the tender that derails, May also want to check that the tender is sitting flat on the rails, I used to have a 2-10-0 where the tender came off CONSTANTLY as the wire harness lifted the front of the tender slightly.
Modeling NYC in N

jimdavis88

jward

Just out of curiosity which ones are you using, and how are they used? DO you have a crossover situation between two parallel tracks?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jimdavis88

I'm using the Bachmann right and left EZ track turnouts #4 and four Bachmann crossovers.

ebtnut

If the issue is with a particular piece of rolling stock, check to make sure the wheels are in gauge.  You will need an NMRA standards gauge to do this, and you should have one anyhow.  They are usually available at a good hobby shop, or can be ordered direct from the NMRA,

jward

Quote from: Irbricksceo on May 20, 2020, 02:27:16 PM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/130510115592732672/712732969692823572/MVIMG_20200520_1425202.jpg

This is a picture of the turnout i filed, and the spot i smoothed is circled in red. Not saying this is your problem, just a possibility.

To expand on this thought, here is how I would approach this. Most commercially made switches have points with blunt ends. Wheels can catch these and ride up over the top of the rail, causing derailments. The way you minimize this is by filing that blunt end to as sharp of a point as possible. I'd use a matchstick or something similar between the point you want to file and the adjacent rail to block it open. Then use a needle file to sharpen the point by running it along the edge of the rail where the wheels run. It should only take a couple of passes with the file to do the job. the name of the game is to "hide the point" so the wheels don't contact the end of the point, but rather glide along the rail.

I mentioned commercial switches because i build my own. I have the luxury of putting a small notch in the stock rail (the one the point contacts) so that there is no chance of a wheel hitting the end of the point. This is almost impossible to do on a switch that has already been assembled, but is easy to do when making the individual parts.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA