News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quonset huts

Started by bwreno, December 25, 2007, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwreno

Happy Holidays to all,

When did 'Quonset Huts' come into being?   WW2? or earlier?

Thanx,  bob

Paul M.

I think Walthers and a few other manufacturers make a model of one

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

There is one in the Walther's catalog.  Walther's doesn't sell a Quonset hut by itself.  One comes in an oil distribution kit, but somebody else sells individual huts. 
Happy Fifth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Ah, the "Quonset Hut".

Invented by a Brit by the name of Nissen, Major Peter Norman Nissen of the 29th Company Royal Engineers.  Known as a "Nissen Hut" world wide.

Copied by the Americans, who couldn't possible use it's UK name as that's just not done, so they called it a "Quonset Hut".  The name comes from their site of first manufacture, Quonset Point at the Davisville Naval Construction Battalion Center in Davisville Rhode Island.

robin

A Google seach provided the date the gentleman requested:

Quonset hut
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Quonset hut is a lightweight prefabricated structure of corrugated steel having a semicircular cross section. The design was based on the Nissen hut developed by the British during World War I. The name comes from their site of first manufacture, Quonset Point, at the Davisville Naval Construction Battalion Center in Davisville (a village located within the town of North Kingstown, Rhode Island).

In 1941 the United States Navy needed an all-purpose, lightweight building that could be shipped anywhere and assembled without skilled labor. The George A. Fuller construction company was selected to manufacture them. The first was produced within 60 days of contract award.

willrupe

RIX Products makes a kit for small Quonset hut in both HO and N scales. See the Walther's catalog or your local hobby shop. Willrupe

Woody Elmore

There was a Quonset hut available in the old Suydam line of metal buildings. I saw one assembled and it was rather crude.

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Quote from: SteamGene on December 29, 2007, 08:50:59 AM
There is one in the Walther's catalog.  Walther's doesn't sell a Quonset hut by itself.  One comes in an oil distribution kit, but somebody else sells individual huts. 
Happy Fifth Day of Christmas
Gene

I've seen the Quonset huts (or something like them) in the 2008 Walther's Catalog, they're German made...but they sell German and US "huts."

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

epeorus

Clever Models also has O, HO, and N kits as very elegant cardstock models.  I know it sounds strange but with high quality printing and high resolution graphics, these things look as good as anything built by other means, especially if they are not forground models.  On the other hand, I have one in the foreground of my layout and people keep touching it because they can't believe that the textures are just printed on.

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.