News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fun EZ track with DCC

Started by Syl, May 28, 2020, 02:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syl

Just to say Hi,

Having fun  with DCC HO following purchase of starter set at black Friday.
I really like the flexibility of EZ-Track. Can put all back in one storage box, change the layout when bored.

- DCC starter set Thunder Chief
- "Your first Railroad track pack" (provided the 4 turnouts)
- 4 1/3 section 18"
- 18" terminal rerailer
- 90 degrees crossing
- GE 70 DCC (not working well, very noisy)
- 2-8-2 sound value
-16V power block for old IBM thinkpad
- PCB005 power distribution board from Evemodel
- PECO PL-50 switch module + 4*PL-26 switches

I am thinking buying an additional turnout to make a parking track for the switcher or a future train. I have also an additional 60deg crossing as well as 4 straight 9" not in use currently.

some details on the control station

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

I like your track plan.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

Very nice. If new to DCC, you are doing well.
I have the 70 ton. Runs very well but converted to LokSound about ten years ago. I also lubed with light coat LaBelle 102 gear oil.

Rich

Syl

Thank you all for your replies.

The 70 tons is the latest DCC model ; seems to have many people with similar issues.
Already applied lub on the gears. seems noise originis with the mechanical link between the motor axles and the gear.

Bachmann also recommanded to try reset the decoder but not possible with the basic EZ command...

Len

You could try using a toothpick to put a small dab of grease on the ball & sockets of the universal joints. Don't use oil, it can work it's way betwen the socket and the metal drive shaft, then bad things happen. Don't ask how I know.

The other thing to try is just put the loco on the track and let it run in one direction for an hour or so, varying the speed occassionall. They do the same thing in reverse. That will often smooth out rough spots and burrs that are making noise.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

graywolf

I converted my 70 ton GE to sound using a Digitrax decoder and a sugar cube speaker. It's sound is great. I think you may be hearing the motor electrical sounds with the Bachmann decoder. Things were quite tight and I had to forgo the headlight and rear light to fit it all.

rich1998

The LokSound Micro v3.5 decoder was small enough so I used the original front and rear LED's with the original resistors all  on a styrene base.
Removed upper weight and made my own equivalent weights from metal the melts at temp of boiling water with two metal pans.

Rich