I can't believe I'm doing this, but...

Started by Quentin, February 27, 2023, 07:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

I really can't believe I'm doing this. The first Plasticville forum post in 3 years. But it IS a legit question, ha.

I literally just found a few remarkably preserved 1940s (I think 1948, because a catalog was with them) models in a tote in my grandparent's (luckily, climate controlled) storage unit. Is there anything I should do to them? The paint is in good condition, the plastic is NOT brittle, somehow, and very few pieces are missing.

I still can't believe I'm making this post.
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

the Bach-man

trainman203

Plasticville kits were an integral part of my very first 4x6 HO scale layout when I was 11 years old. I've had multiple layouts over my long life, but none really match the excitement and wonder of the town scene created by those kits back in those wonderful long ago days. I remember in particular a drugstore, a depot with a hip roof, and an interlocking tower. I still have the interlocking tower. It's been repainted, but still holds an honored place on my layout today over 60 years later.

I haven't looked at the catalog in a long time, but I would be sure that some of those kits are good starts for various kitbashing projects.

Ralph S

Are they older than these?  Like you, they have kept well over the years, including the boxes.  Had'em since I was a kid, followed me around the country (US that is) and now I can actually put them on my layout now that I have retired.

I'm going to try to put lights inside them and also try to make them more realistic looking in order to keep up with my modern HO layout.  I'm just glad I'm not the only one with old Plasticville models. 

trainman203

Seal the insides of all corners etc and paint all inside surfaces black. Otherwise, that building will glow like a radioactive isotope when you light up the inside.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

Ralph,
They look about the same age. The station one looks familiar. I don't have all the boxes to them.

I'm planning on repainting them to the original colors. Some show multiple coats of different colored paint.
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS