STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 11, 2020, 11:07:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Plasticville U.S.A.
| | |-+  can I use ho scale plasticville buildings with 1/64 scale diecast cars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: can I use ho scale plasticville buildings with 1/64 scale diecast cars  (Read 601 times)
Hiohsilver

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »

I am started a ho gauge train layout and I was wondering if I can use my 1/64 scale diecast cars & truck in my layout?
the Bach-man
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:20:48 PM »

Dear Silver,
They'll be a little too big, but if they look OK to you...
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:39:23 PM »

Just a couple of examples:
A 2017 Chevy Malibu is 197". In 1/64th S it would be  3.08". In 1/87 HO it would be 2.26".
A 2020 Mustang is 188". In 1/64 it would be 2.94. In 1/87 HO it's  2.16"
A 2020 Ford F150 All Wheel Drive Super Crew Pick Up Truck is 244". In 1/64 that's  3.81" In 1/87 HO that's 2.8".

Feel like a Mogul.
Country Joe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:16:39 AM »

Hihosilver, it all depends on what your plan is for your layout.

If you are trying to reproduce the real world in HO scale then 1/64 (S scale) vehicles are way too big. I would recommend Classic Metal Works HO vehicles instead. You can see them at your local train store or at online dealers like Trainworld. This is a link to Trainworld's Classic Metal World HO vehicles:  https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/classic-metal-works/classic-metal-works-ho-scale/

However, if your goal is to build an HO toy train layout where scale isn't as important as what looks good in your eyes then the oversize vehicles can work fine. A member of our club has taken this approach with his HO layout. You can see it in this video:  https://youtu.be/Dpz9N0CQ750

If scale realism is important to you then go with HO scale vehicles but either the scale or toy train approach can result in a fine layout.
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »

They might work if you use them at the front of the layout and don't have them real close to HO figures or doorways. Maybe hide part of vehicle behind a building or trees with only part of it sticking out so you can't really tell how big it is.

Feel like a Mogul.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: