can I use ho scale plasticville buildings with 1/64 scale diecast cars

Started by Hiohsilver, June 05, 2020, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiohsilver

I am started a ho gauge train layout and I was wondering if I can use my 1/64 scale diecast cars & truck in my layout?

the Bach-man

Dear Silver,
They'll be a little too big, but if they look OK to you...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Terry Toenges

Just a couple of examples:
A 2017 Chevy Malibu is 197". In 1/64th S it would be  3.08". In 1/87 HO it would be 2.26".
A 2020 Mustang is 188". In 1/64 it would be 2.94. In 1/87 HO it's  2.16"
A 2020 Ford F150 All Wheel Drive Super Crew Pick Up Truck is 244". In 1/64 that's  3.81" In 1/87 HO that's 2.8".
Feel like a Mogul.

Country Joe

Hihosilver, it all depends on what your plan is for your layout.

If you are trying to reproduce the real world in HO scale then 1/64 (S scale) vehicles are way too big. I would recommend Classic Metal Works HO vehicles instead. You can see them at your local train store or at online dealers like Trainworld. This is a link to Trainworld's Classic Metal World HO vehicles:  https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/classic-metal-works/classic-metal-works-ho-scale/

However, if your goal is to build an HO toy train layout where scale isn't as important as what looks good in your eyes then the oversize vehicles can work fine. A member of our club has taken this approach with his HO layout. You can see it in this video:  https://youtu.be/Dpz9N0CQ750

If scale realism is important to you then go with HO scale vehicles but either the scale or toy train approach can result in a fine layout.

Terry Toenges

They might work if you use them at the front of the layout and don't have them real close to HO figures or doorways. Maybe hide part of vehicle behind a building or trees with only part of it sticking out so you can't really tell how big it is.
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe323

It depends I use 1/64 scale Semi Trucks on my layout but the cars are way too big.

Trainman203

87 / 64 = 1.35.

Those cars are 35% too big.  They'd look odd unless you keep them on an open road away from accurately scaled stuff.  The road will have to be 35% wider too.

Trainman203

Joe323

On My layout I use Matchbox Semi Trailers, Garbage trucks, cement mixers and other assorted Trucks or construction equiptment but not the cars they are just too big.  Some of the Hess Mini trucks work as well.