News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 tender body removal

Started by rogertra, June 08, 2020, 10:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

It's been a while since I last did this but how do you remove the tender body from the Spectrun (remember those good models?) tender.

Thanks.

jonathan

Hi Roger!

There is a single screw just behind the bolster on the front truck.

As you pull up the front of the tender shell, the tabs on the rear of the shell will catch a little, but can be maneuvered free.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

How many of you have problems with the 2-8-0 tender shell rattling when you blow the whistle, no matter how much you tighten that screw.  I always thought that the single screw along with the two snap in tabs at the rear was a cost cutting design flaw, and that a second screw at the rear would have avoided that problem.

jonathan

I've never noticed any rattle or vibration when I blow the whistle.  But it's pretty noisy at train shows, so...

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

Trainman203

The only trouble with that TCS installation guide is that is only good for coal burners.  Can't drill holes in the oil bunker.

rich1998

Simple solution. Drill holes in the frame. Look at coal burner frames at the diagram page and HO Seeker page.
I have done that to a Vanderbilt tender. All part pf model railroading. Just be careful.

Rich

Trainman203

Of course. But TCS doesn't tell you that. All the Spectrum engines with stock sound had holes in the tender floor.

rich1998

Obvious. That is why I looked at the Bachmann diagrams. I saw what they did for a Vanderbilt tender for sound.
A few years ago HMinky did the same for sound in a American in the tender.

Rich