Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidated White Pass & Yukon Engine

Started by MiltonB, June 09, 2020, 05:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiltonB

The gears in the gear box are used up and need replaced but as of today the 0AY01 gear is sold out: what to do.  I've read in several forums that the best fix is to simply replace the chassis; however that appears to be unavailable as well.  I am open for suggestions

armorsmith

Milton, please excuse my confusion here. The Consolidation is a 2-8-0 Spectrum locomotive. The common issue with that locomotive is the drive gear on the axle cracks, which is what I suspect is your issue if it is the Spectrum. Bachmann parts sells a new axle shave with a brass gear, if there are any left available. The is not and never has been a replacement chassis for the Consolidation.

The replacement chassis are for the 10-wheeler (4-6-0), and from the rumor mill I hear, they are going fast as well. North West Short Line was sold earlier this year to a new owner. You might try looking them up they have a replacement gear for the Connie that is reported to be fairly robust and reliable.

Hope this helps, good luck with your repair.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, Milton,

You are correct that the gear number you stated is out of stock. Unfortunately I do not know of any other source for it.  The complete gearbox set is also out of stock.   There are no plans that I know of as to if Bachmann will re-release the 2-8-0 or any more parts for it.  You could check with NWSL and send them an image of the gear to them and see if they can help.

No matter, if you do find a source, Please Please let us know here so we can help others. 

I did not buy one when they were available, and regret it.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Fred2179

The Consolidation 2-8-0 axle is listed as in stock in the parts pages:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_142&products_id=10285
The NWSL gear is also available - part 2226-6 on page 12.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0250/4032/2669/files/Gears_2_2.pdf?263

Either will solve your problem.