Brand new Bachmann HO Pennsylvania 2-8-2 DERAILS on EZ Track power curves

Started by jimdavis88, June 14, 2020, 11:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdavis88

I bought a brand new Bachmann 54303 HO Pennsylvania 2-8-2 Mikado w/Medium Tender w/Sound & DCC #9630 and it derails on the EZ Track curves that have the power connection. This power connector track should realign the wheels but instead the locomotive and tender derail. Diesels work just fine. I have checked all track connections etc. Its too late for a refund, any help would be appreciated.

jonathan

It has been my experience that the rerailer track, as part of the EZ track system, is not quite correct in its tolerances.

If you slowly pull your Mikado through that piece of track, you may find that something on the bottom of the locomotive is touching the center portion of the rerailer track piece.  Could be part of the drive wheel cover plate, or the king pin on the tender, or the connector wires dragging a bit, or any other list of things... like coupler trip pins.

I took all my USRA 0-6-0s and sanded 1/64" of the bottom of the cover where the main gear is covered by that hump, just to get over one of those rerailer pieces without derailing.

You may find that carefully sanding down the center portion of the rerailer piece helps the problem.  Can't tell for sure without personal inspection.  

I stopped using EZ track some years ago, mostly because I like much larger radius curves.  Speaking of which, what radius are you using?  The 22" radius EZ track would probably be ok.  I very much doubt the sounder Mikado's would like 18" radius track.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

I have two of the Sound Value Mikado's.  I added about 1.5 ounces of weight to the front of the locomotives (plenty of dead space inside the smokebox). This was to balance the center of gravity over the middle drive wheels.  This greatly improved tracking and pulling power.  Before adding the weight, I did notice the drivers liked to crawl over the rails on tighter radius curves.  You may also want to consider a similar modification.  Removing the shell is not too difficult.  I'm a believer in adding weight and balancing all my locomotives.  Just sayin'  r, jv

ebtnut

I noticed that the pilot truck on my Mike was just barely touching the rails and didn't have any vertical movement.  If there were any minor imperfections in the track, especially on a curve, the pilot truck would float off the rails and derail the loco.  I made a little circle washer out of fine brass wire and placed it over the shank of the screw which gave me that needed extra bit of vertical movement.   

jimdavis88

Thanks for the information.

I have lots of 18" curves in my layout. Can you recommend some good steam locomotive that can handle these short radius?

jonathan

The Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation is the best of the bunch. I have six. Four of them will negotiate down to 15" radius, though not recommended.

The USRA 0-6-0 will run down to 15" radius.  Though not highly detailed, it can be tinkered into a nice looking locomotive.  With a bit of tweaking, it can be a nice runner.

I imagine the alco 2-6-0 would do just fine.  But I can't really comment as I don't own one.  I suspect the ten-wheeler would do well on 18" radius, too.

I have a BLI 4-6-2 that will turn on tight radii, but the passenger cars won't, so...

Regards,

Jonathan

jimdavis88

Please help me understand. The Mikado 2-8-2 has eight drive wheels and so does the 2-8-0 Consolidation you recommended. Why would the 2-8-0 work better than the Mikado on 18" curves? To me, four drive wheels in a straight line don't seem to coincide with an 18" radius curve. I noticed that all the drive wheels have the inside flange so there is no place for the wheels to slip when going around a curve. I think I'm confusing myself.

ebtnut

There are several factors that are in play.  First is driver size.  Smaller drivers have a shorter rigid wheelbase and therefore can use a smaller radius.  On both the prototype and models blind drivers are used for the same purpose.  For models, it depends mostly on the amount of "slop" in the mechanism.  Tightly built models (mostly brass in my experience) will have trouble on tight curves.  Most all of Bachmann's models are designed to pass around their EZ Track 18" curves.  One other limiting factor is the swing of pilot trucks and/or trailing trucks which may limit curve acceptance. 

jonathan

I have had my Mikes negotiate 18" radius. However, I have spent time going over the locos, tweaking pilot and trailin g trucks, checking drivers and valve gear, checking weight and free movement of the tenders, and so on.

Remember, no locomotive is perfect out of the box... From any manufacturer. We modelers need to test and adjust our equipment. Just part of the experience.

As Terry wrote, the extra trucks make a difference, driver size and spacing, AND side play of the drivers.

Regards,

Jonathan

Irbricksceo

My current Steam Fleet is

3 Bachmann 2-8-0
1 Spectrum SY 2-8-2 
1 Bachmann USRA 4-6-2
1 Bachmann 2-8-4

I also used to own a 2-10-0, which I loved, but it broke down and was swapped by bachmann service for the 4-6-2.

All of these run on the 18 inch curves... but the 2-8-4 will occasionally jump track so its not reccomended.
From what I see, the USRA 2-8-2 is supposed to work on 18, but its probably cutting it close, and i cant imagine it looks terribly good doing it.

My reccomendation for good steam on 18 is the 2-8-0. Its a great looking engine, runs well, strong puller, and will run fine on those curves.

As far as your Mike goes, I'll second the assertion that you should look at the trucks and see if they are catching. also, do you have the drawbar set on the close or far holes? You might need to back it up.
Modeling NYC in N