Request for help wiring Bachmann Thomas & Friends sound board

Started by Rex in Pinetop, June 15, 2020, 01:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex in Pinetop

I purchased a Bachmann Large Scale Thomas and Friends sound board ($99) to install with my AirWire G3 decoder already installed in my Thomas.  The Bachmann install instructions do not cover this particular situation.  I emailed Soundtraxx who didn't know how to install the board.  I next emailed CVP Products.  They said it could be done with their CONVRTR-60X which is $138.  Bachmann customer support could not help me but did advise me to post the question on this forum.  Can anyone advise me on how to do this install?
Thanks,
Rex

Hunt

The Bachmann Large Scale Thomas & Friends DCC Sound Module (sound board) is a full DCC sound decoder (includes motor and sound controls) it is not just a sound only module so it cannot be used with CVP AirWire G3 decoder.

An option as suggested by CVP Products , replace the CVP AirWire G3 decoder with the Bachmann Large Scale Thomas & Friends DCC Sound Module, a speaker and a CVP AirWire900 CONVRTR-60 following  each product's instructions/user guide

rhwalker

Another option is the new BlueRailTrains/TamValleyDepot control board with a DCC decoder.

Rex in Pinetop

Is the BlueRailTrains system a Thomas sound board and is it compatible with the AirWire throttles?  I have battery power only with my 1,000 ft of mainline.
Rex

Hunt

Q: Is the BlueRailTrains system a Thomas sound board
A: No

Q: is it compatible with the AirWire throttles
A: No  ]

Rex in Pinetop

Okay I understand the BlueRailTrains system may be useful to someone not already invested in a DCC system sometime in the future when it may be operated from a smart phone.  It won't work with AirWire and it isn't a sound board.

Update - I did install the AirWire CONVRTR-60x. and removed the G3 decoder.  The converter does as advertised linking the AirWire throttles with the Bachmann Thomas and Friends soundboard. I have it running though I must admit I'm disappointed in the quality of the sound.  I guess I've been used to Phoenix for so long anything else just doesn't measure up.  Does anyone know if there is another sound supplier out there for Thomas and Friends?

Rex in Pinetop