Turnouts and large locomotives

Started by Jeff1980, June 15, 2020, 11:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1980

I am new at this and am just planning my layout. Which turnouts should I avoid if I am planning to run the large locomotives?

jonathan

Jeff,

What Scale?  How big a locomotive are we talking about?

In HO, I do pretty well using #6 turnouts on my mainline.  I consider my locomotives large: Heavy Mountains, USRA 2-6-6-2, and occasionally an EM-1.  However, if I were to run brass on a regular basis, I would use AT LEAST #8 turnouts.  It's not so much the size of the locomotive, as the engineering of the drivers.  Some manufacturers make all there locos run on tight radii, no matter how large the loco.

Can u be more specific?

Regards,

Jonathan

Jeff1980

Yes, I am doing HO. Thank you Jonathan,  I will use #6 or #8 turnouts. The EM-1 locomotive is the one I want to run on my layout... I just have to buy it now...

ebtnut

As a general rule, a No. 6 turnout will handle all but the most rigid or long-driver wheelbase locos.  No. 8's will work with virtually any loco. 
Any of Bachmann's models will do fine with No. 6's.

jonathan

For the EM-1:

I found I needed to adjust the gage of the lead/pony trucks, to get them to transition smoothly through turnouts.  I can't recall if they were a bit too wide or too narrow.  I used that Kadee measuring tool to check all the wheel gaps.  I believe the trailing trucks were fine, but you better check 'em all just in case.

It's a big loco and does require a bit of tweaking and run time to chug along smoothly.  Overall, it's a pretty forgiving loco, even at 17.5" long.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

Just out of curiosity, what radius curve are you running that EM1 on?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Jward,

On my current layout, minimum radius on the mainline is 32".

Our club's traveling layout uses about 30" as a minimum.

I have run it on 24" radius. It will run on that just fine, but it looks funny doing it.

Regards,

Jonathan