News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

styrophoam mounting

Started by the king of the undead, June 16, 2020, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the king of the undead

how would one attach a 4x8 sheet of syrofoam to a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

WoundedBear

With a caulking gun and a tube of Liquid No Nails or other suitable adhesive. Spread the adhesive evenly with a wide putty knife before joining. Use weight while adhesive cures.

I would avoid spray adhesives for this job.

Sid

the king of the undead

Quote from: WoundedBear on June 16, 2020, 06:50:43 PM
With a caulking gun and a tube of Liquid No Nails or other suitable adhesive. Spread the adhesive evenly with a wide putty knife before joining. Use weight while adhesive cures.

I would avoid spray adhesives for this job.

Sid
thanks! gonna assume you mean liquid nails.

Len

Not all Liquid Nails products are safe to use on styrofoam. The one specifically intended for use on styrofoam is LN-704, Liquid Nails Interior Projects. Most home improvement stores carry it, or can order it if not in stock.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

the king of the undead

Quote from: Len on June 16, 2020, 09:58:05 PM
Not all Liquid Nails products are safe to use on styrofoam. The one specifically intended for use on styrofoam is LN-704, Liquid Nails Interior Projects. Most home improvement stores carry it, or can order it if not in stock.

Len

thank you!

Trainman203

Be advised that styrofoam is a pretty flammable material.  Foam insulation board intended for building construction usually is required to carry at least a nominal fire rating. 

WoundedBear

I did have the name wrong....sorry. It's Lepage's "No More Nails"

Trainman.....you worry too much about fire. The foam is no more flammable than the plywood benchmark is.

Sid

Trainman203

Can't help it Sid.  I was in the state fire marshal's office for years.  It was our job to worry about fire. We had no fire deaths in the commercial buildings we had jurisdiction over.

At my house I have working smoke detectors/alarms and a couple of residential fire extinguishers.

the king of the undead

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 17, 2020, 10:43:52 AM
Can't help it Sid.  I was in the state fire marshal's office for years.  It was our job to worry about fire. We had no fire deaths in the commercial buildings we had jurisdiction over.

At my house I have working smoke detectors/alarms and a couple of residential fire extinguishers.
If I fire starts in the basement we have bigger problems then my trainset so...

Trainman203

Have an ABC fire extinguisher and a working smoke alarm down there.  Cheap protection.

WoundedBear

Styrofoam is waaay down the list of flammable things I have to worry about.

The two drums of race gasoline in the shed and the oxy-acetylene set in the garage are but a couple.  ;D

Sid

Len

According to Dow foam board is styrofoam, "Dow STYROFOAMâ„¢ Insulation (Blue Board) is a nonstructural, rigid board insulation manufactured of Extruded Polystyrene Foam (XPS)". What's different is it's an extruded form versus glued together beads like typical packing foam.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

The blue board seems to be denser than the pink board. I can't say that as a fact. It just seems like it to me.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Man, Sid.  You might be one of the early civilians to go into orbit. 😂😂