News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann DCC turntable

Started by Trainman203, June 17, 2020, 04:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Does the operators shed on the table itself hold any kind of necessary items for operation?  It occurred to me that, if I could, I'd remove that shed and redetail the table as an old wood Armstrong or gallows type, the kind I really want on my two bit short line railroad.

Terry Toenges

Do you mean like this? :) I'm still not done yet. I have other things to add.
The building does nothing. It just covers the plastic cover that covers the motor and electric stuff. I built a stand over the motor part. I was going to have a stationary diesel engine sitting over the hole with a big pulley and belt on it that disappeared into the hole below. I was making it for On30, but I'm getting rid of my On30 stuff and sticking with HO now so I have to modify the stand. I think I'm just going to have a pole on the deck and a guy pushing it. I'll modify the stand to look like coal or wood or sand bins.

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Yeah that's the idea.  Someone , maybe Central Valley, made kits for these old fashioned wood turntables long years ago, with lots of truss rods and bracing.  I'll try to find one to adapt to the Bach Man's.   The last question , is there enough pit clearance under the table itself to add some gravel, cinders and weeds?  If so, case closed, I'm getting one.

Terry Toenges

There isn't really any clearance under it. There is about 1/8" lip under the track section that you could file off. The deck would still be supported by the center pivot and contacts, the end lip piece of the deck and the rim around the inner part of the rotating circle. In my case, since I have added wood on top, it also strengthens it. As long as you kept the grass/gravel/etc. outside of the area of the contacts, you could put some low stuff in there if you removed the lip.
I might just have to paint some on mine. I have been using ink on the wood but the ink won't cover when I try to touch up the super glue spots. There's a place on the side where the super glue spurted out and doused it all.

This is what I was going to do with the stand over the motor.
Feel like a Mogul.