News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann coupler problem

Started by jimdavis88, June 26, 2020, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdavis88

I bought a brand new Bachmann Diesel and Bachmann passenger cars (HO) and they uncouple from the engine when running. I checked the diesel couple height and it is right on but the height of the passenger cars is far too low. I don't want to lower the couple on the engine because then it will not match my other rolling stock. How can I raise the coupler on the Bachmann passenger cars? I thought about lower the truck, with a washer, but don't know if that's a good idea or not.

My passenger cars:  Bachmann #13504 Durango & Silverton Combine #213 Home Ranch

rich1998

A few times I have used Kadee washers to raise a car. Kadee sells two types of washers. I snug up the truck screw on one end so the car does not wobble but enough for the truck to rotate. A trick I learned years ago in Model Railroader magazine. I think Kadee has couplers that have different heights. Check their catalog. Been many years.

Ric

Trainman203

The only thing about those washers is the the car looks like it's wearing high water pants.

Terry Toenges

Bachmann sells E-Z Mate Mark II over shank and under shank couplers as does Kadee. You would want under shank to raise the coupler on the car.
I'm kind of surprised that heights don't match since they are both Bachmann.

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Yes, and use a Kadee height gage to get the wrong ones fixed and leave the right ones alone, instead of vice-a- versa😱😂.

jimdavis88

Thanks, I am using a Kadee height gauge but don't know how to make the passenger car couplers higher.

Trainman203

Replace with Kadee underset couplers. Or you could do the Jack Legg solution and with a fine pair of needle nosed pliers gently rotate the plastic coupler head upward to line up better with the others. It will bend some if you go very easy.

I've done that as a temporary solution while waiting for the underset couplers. It works ok but you have to be very careful not to deform the coupler head so as to keep the knuckle from operating.  I did that a couple of times at first.

Trainman203

I have one of those combines.  It came to me as a rescue dog with no couplers.  I mounted Kadee scale sized whisker couplers in the Kadee draft gear boxes under the end platforms and have never had a problem with coupler height.