News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 minimum radius for 4-6-0

Started by Rroman, June 26, 2020, 04:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rroman

Hi am planning stage, whaat is the minimum radius for a 4-6-0 thanks in advance.
Rroman

Hunt

22"  minimum radius for 4-6-0. However if track work excellent, maybe 18" but requires tender to be connected by 2nd drawbar hole.

For a On30 layout planning suggest using 22" minimum radius unless you know what will be running. 

RailMan63

I second the advice given by Hunt. My Bachmann 4-6-0 can run on the 18 inch radius tracks,but it does much better on the 22" radius tracks.
While it runs fine on the 18" radius curves, the wheels squeal loudly. It still squeals on the 22" radius curves, but not as badly.
Here's a link to a thread that I posted a few weeks ago on the subject:

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,36611.0.html
And here's one to a video that I posted to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gqJPRczTlQ&t=5s

Len

A compromise for 4' x 8' layouts that want to leave some spance between the track and table edge would be to use Trix 515mm/20-1/4" radius C-Track. The On30 4-6-0 on the display layout I maintain at the shopping center runs fine on it, without a lot of overhang. It comes in 30deg sections.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ton N

Don't forget you are still running on H0 scale track with a 0 scale locomotive.
The spacing between the sleepers is to small for the 0 scale.
I use PECO flex, you could also use more appropriate US track / sleeper configuration like Micro engineering.

Ton

Len

The kids pushing the buttons on the display layout aren't into that kind of detail, they just want to see the train go around. There isn't space between 'retaining walls' for 22" curves, but the train stays on the track with the 20-1/4" curves a lot better than using 18" curves.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

p51

I agree that 22" is best, especially if you're only pulling something with it. I tell people on my own layout not to switch cars in most sidings with the front of the locomotive as that swings out pretty far, even on the 22" and greater curves on my own layout.
Keep in mind that the tender is shorter than Bachmann's standard freight car frame, if you're just using that end. And the center driver on the loco is blind (with no flange), but it'd look awfully silly going through something as tight as 18"!
-Lee