News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Perplexing older GP-40 derailment problem

Started by Slomopiot, June 27, 2020, 09:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slomopiot

Quote from: rich1998 on June 30, 2020, 03:00:56 PM
"Yes. Powered truck leading makes sense.
I thought I saw a worm above the un-powered truck is why I said look at the truck and see if any gears might have been in the truck at one time."

No, no gears in the front truck; and I got it out of a sealed box so not modified.

I did speak with the Bachmann Service Department today and have made the decision to sent it to them for repair. Repair + shipping is about the same cost of ordering parts and trying to fix it myself; and they've got tons more experience at it than I do.

BTW, they also confirmed that this was a 'custom set' that was made just for Great Planes Models and was only sold by them. They were surprised that it wasn't a pancake motor . . .

rich1998

Ok. Well hopefully problem solved. It sure did surprise me to see a worm above a truck that apparently never had gears.
Bachmann repair is suppose to be good.

No idea what someone was thinking on your model that could only pull in one direction?

You should post before and after photos.

That is one for the books.

Good luck.

Rich

Slomopiot

Got a call from the Bachmann Service Department today and it was a nice conversation. If I understood the tech, he's going to just put the shell down on a new everything including the dark gray truck frames that I requested for their flat-rate $35 non-warranty fee and get it in the mail to me on Tuesday. He's also upgrading me to 8-wheel drive versus 4-wheel on the old unit for no extra charge.

He thought that the problem was a broken or defective gear in the drive truck. He added that my unit was 'really different' in that it was only 4-wheel drive but with a can motor; and a slightly different one that what they used. I think that perhaps he saw that even thought it was old, it was new-old-stock and made the decision to just send me a replacement.

While I'm sure it's that my timing was just right, they're turning around my repair in less than two weeks !

rich1998

That is great. I thought was worth a try.

Rich