News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DD40 Door Missing.

Started by Tiddles, July 02, 2020, 02:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddles

Need help with my Sound DD40.

It is missing the left side cab door and Bachmann will not sent me a spear door but say i must buy a complete shell.

Hoe can I fix this problem?

I live near Oxford UK.

Trainman203

Tiddles

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 02, 2020, 04:11:30 PM
Scratchbuild one?

I did consider that but not sure I have skills or the eye sight!

Trainman203

I don't have good eyesight either.  I'm sure I build bad things .  But can't tell the difference!  You won't either! 😂😂

emde5

If its the one in the middle of the car body,  its supposed to be open

Trainman203

This suggests an interesting modeling possibility.  I'm not familiar with modern diesels past GP 9's,  but if the door in question opens inward, the replacement item wouldn't have to be very detailed or well paint matched. It simply wouldn't be very visible.  And you could put a seated crew guy inside which would mostly hide a non detailed cab interior.   I think they still had "firemen" in the days of those particular units.  And a third seat for the head end brakeman.

WoundedBear

You guys need to go look at the exploded parts diagram.

I am sure that what he is missing is actually the whole rear corner/wall of the cab. That is only going to be had by buying a complete shell.

Sid

jward

doors on most  diesel locomotives open outward, and rest along the handrails when open. This is done for safety reasons. Early cab type units like EMD F and E series units had doors that opened inward. IN a collision this could have disasterous results, particularly with the nose door. There were instances where the locomotive collided with a tanker truck at a grade crossing, the nose door opened and the resulting fireball incinerated the crew.  
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Never pretended I know anything about diesels.

We had a KCS/tank truck collision many years ago. The driver and the crew were able to dive since it was in town but it burned up the drunks in the bar next to the grade crossing .

Trainman203

Another thing about out swinging doors is that they are easier to waterproof , important for the front of an engine cab moving through driving rain.

Piyer

Quote from: Tiddles on July 02, 2020, 02:31:32 PM
Need help with my Sound DD40.

It is missing the left side cab door and Bachmann will not sent me a spear door but say i must buy a complete shell.

Hoe can I fix this problem?

I live near Oxford UK.

Take a look at Cannon & Co. thin wall cab kits if you need a door plus a section of cab wall. If you just need a door itself, "kvmodels" offers etched metal doors and several detail parts makers have EMD cab doors as styrene plastic parts. These can all be found on eBay, though you might need to set your "item location" to worldwide to find them on the UK eBay site.

Matching the paint to Bachmann's shouldn't be too difficult  - feathering the new into the old, a dab of weathering, and lots of practicing on a scrap of card or plastic card should get you there. And if you are fully weathering your model, it's even easier: leave the new door in unweathered primer paint to (literally) show it's a replacement door!
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.