News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Locomotives

Started by pmcfee, July 03, 2020, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmcfee

Will Bachman ever invent/make/produce an N scale steam locomotive that SMOKES?

bnoem1

I doubt it.  BEMO, what I think was a precourser to Rawa/MRC, produced a 2-8-8-2/-0 that had a smoke unit.  It wasn't the best due to several factors.  I think the small generator couldn't hold enough smoke liguid to make it worth it, and it was messy.  Just one of those impractical features.  If you use dcc sometimes you can get your steamer to smoke - but only for a very short time, then you cry.

dtpowell

There were a couple of others too. Arnold Rapid o produced a Bavarian S3/6 with smoke many years ago and It think it was Ibertrain (Spanish manufactute) produced a tiny 0-4-0 with smoke. It was sold in a set with three two axle coaches with interior ligjts. I saw this set at a train show in Dayton, Ohio in the early 1990's. I regret not purchasing it as a novelty. It wasn't expensive.

Franz T

A good half Century ago when I was modeling in Horribly Oversized Scale, I had a few European Prototype steamer that "smoked". If I recall correctly, they were by Fleischmann and used Seuthe smoke units. Very messy to fill the tiny "smoke generator" in the stack with the appropriate fluid (even in Horribly Oversized); you had a few wispy curls of "smoke" for about 2 minutes which looked tacky as hell, and then you had to refill the blasted thing again. Definitely NOT worth the aggravation...