News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FNG question abut EZ Track layout

Started by AttorneyAdrian, October 20, 2020, 02:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AttorneyAdrian

Hello,
I just picked up a n scale model 24020, and am enjoying it, but also looking to plan a slightly more complicated layout. I have set up the standard oval shaped track that came in the kit, and am wondering if there is a way to make the same basic oval layout just outside (or in side if possible) the standard oval that came with the kit and have a way to have a crossover between the two loops?
Ideally I'd love to be able to run two trains simultaneously on the inner and outer loops, but also have the ability to run one and have it switch from outside to inside track.
Also, is there a chart for the EZ Track that shows what radius track pieces will make what size track circle?
I think the curved track pieces that came with the set are 11.25" radius, and they make a 24" circle according to the promotional literature. It seems logical that you would just double the radius and get the diameter, but that doesn't seem to work. Maybe I read the measurements wrong?
Thanks for any and all help!

James in FL

Hi AA,

When you measure track radius, remember you are using the centerline between the tracks not the outside roadbed edge.
I measure the overall width of the roadbed to be 1.050 +/- .005.
I haven't used EZ Track for a long while, aside of a test figure eight so I don't have many pieces left.
Next sizes up will be 12.5r, 14r 15.5r, 17.5r, and 19r.
I can't say which radius you would need, nor what the spacing between tracks needs to be.

Good luck

James in FL

You're welcome.
Perhaps someone who has a crossover will chime in, and tell us what the center to center spacing is, and then it would be easy to figure the correct radius you need.

AttorneyAdrian

Well, figured it out out by doing it!
Used the Black Friday coupon to stock up on some track and a 30 degree xing, and when it came, I made this layout.
The crossing was interesting to get to work. Because there is so little clearance, you have to literally cut the corners off the four pieces attached to it to assemble it.
The whole track is approximately 28"x32" and consists of 23x 11.25" radius curves, 1 rerailer curve, 2x 5" straights, 4x 1.125" straights, and the xing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hocP1esFHBQGF8Ae9