News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NYC 4-6-4 Hudson release

Started by James in FL, July 04, 2020, 11:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Someone needs to count how many times this engine has been offered in model form.  Around as much as the K4? To someone not from the northeast, they both are overcooked steaks.

James in FL

QuoteSomeone needs to count how many times this engine has been offered in model form.  Around as much as the K4? To someone not from the northeast, they both are overcooked steaks.

Obviously you're not an N scaler.
This will be only the fourth time this model has been released in plastic, since the very beginning of N scale itself.
Twice in the sixties, once in the nineties.

The K4 only once back in the seventies.
Bachmann's release was the second time for a K4 since the beginning.

So how is it you feel they are both overcooked?
What is your criteria?
A least some of us feel they both were long overdue.

Rich_S

Quote from: James in FL on July 26, 2020, 09:41:14 PM

Obviously you're not an N scaler.
This will be only the fourth time this model has been released in plastic, since the very beginning of N scale itself.
Twice in the sixties, once in the nineties.

The K4 only once back in the seventies.
Bachmann's release was the second time for a K4 since the beginning.

So how is it you feel they are both overcooked?
What is your criteria?
A least some of us feel they both were long overdue.

James, I agree this is a long awaited steam locomotive for N scale. Just a friendly reminder to the original poster, not everyone models the Union Pacific or Santa Fe. Some of us folks model and collect railroad locomotive that once saw service here on the East coast. I currently own two of the Bachmann K4's, a Nickle Plate Berk, a WM Consolidation and look forward to adding this classic locomotive to my collection.

brokemoto

Kato and Athearn do the western roads.  FVM did a midwestern road.  B-mann is in Philadelphia, so it does eastern.  B-mann even did a southern road (N&W J). These road specific, wel known steam locomotives do seem to sell.

SP GS-4, B&O EM-1, Penn  K-4, Large UP power, N&W J, Van Swerigen Berkshires all sell well.  There is a demand for a decent NYC Hudson.  A few years past, I sold my C-C Hudsons.  They fetched good prices on FeePay.  Even those that did not run fetched good prices.  The demand is there. I will not buy one, but, I  have little doubt that many will buy one.

bnoem1

Again I would also ask for a USRA Pacific 4-6-2.  Like the aformentioned locos Bachmann has made recently.  I truly believe these would be in high demand, particularly with DCC and Sound.  Essentially the mechanism is made, the boilers and maybe tenders would have to be made.  The other company that made them didn't have the level of detailing and were a puzzle to take apart and put back together. 

Angelob6660

I wonder if they next release will include the PT tenders for these beautiful Hudsons.

Since I get one until next year I'm going to get NYC #5426 (As delivered) Before it gets new ESE design.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Hunt

Bachmann Trains Live With TrainWorld Streamed live on Jul 28, 2020

Click Here This is at the point  Larry Harrington talks about the N scale Hudson

sumfred

Does anybody know what material the engine body is made of, i.e. metal or plastic, as Bachmann used both in their past productions of steam engines.
Fred

James in FL

Can't say for sure, but the Berk, 10 wheeler, K4, J, and EM1 all have metal shells.
I hope it's safe to assume (it never is) that Bachmann would stay the course and continue with a metal shell on the Hudson release. I have not yet put eyes or hands on one.
The ad mentions "die-cast chassis" but makes no mention of the shell.

sumfred

The not mentioned body material originated my original post, as Bachmann produced the 2-8-0 and the 4-8-2 upgraded with DCC and sound but they both have plastic bodies.
Fred

James in FL

Agreed, but... those were upgrades that Bachmann already had the shell molds for, from previous runs.
Probably not cost effective to make new tooling for the shell.
The Hudson is all new tooling. So... anybody's guess.

sumfred

just received this info from Bachmann:
"The 4-6-4 had die cast-boiler."
Very good news as it makes this probably a good puller. ;D
Fred

sumfred

Any further info on the actual arrival time?
Fred

alister

Well now that looks like a very nice loco. Unfortunately I'm not an NYC modeller but that mechanism is just too tempting, Looks liike I'll be making a AT&SF Hudson  ;D