Does my loco have sound, and how do I control the doors with a PowerCab

Started by jeffHOtrainCO, July 04, 2020, 12:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffHOtrainCO

Hi, I am new to HO modeling and just picked up a number of trains, cars, buildings and so on with the intention of making my own HO DCC set in a spare bedroom.  While running the Bachmann Spectrum 83003 Amtrak Acela HHP-8 Locomotive w/ ESU LokPilot DCC that was part of the haul, and in doing further research, I realized that the passenger doors on this loco may open via a command from the NCE PowerCab DCC I have. Further, I was wondering if this particular loco has sound. So, question one I guess is does this loco has sound and if so why wouldn't my DCC be able to turn it on and second how do I get the doors to operate?  Thanks.

Trainman203

If you are new to model railroading and already have an NCE power cab, that is great, DCC makes everything run more realistically in every dimension.  If your engine is sound equipped the sound should come on just by setting the engine on the powered track.  You can toggle F8 to see if it got tripped somehow to silence the engine, or set cv 113 to 0 which will keep the sound on all the time.  If neither of these actions do anything and silence persists, either you don't have sound or something is wrong somewhere.

rich1998

Hi I have the Power Cab.
Check the Bachmann DCC page for the CV list with your Power Cab. LokSound should have the list. Sounds like you have a custom install.
You might do a decoder reset.
No idea about the decoder specs for this loco. You can Google the decoder name.

Rich

jeffHOtrainCO

Thanks guys, I'll have to try both. I know that when I put it on a powered track, no sounds immediately come on.  I have another question, being new and all.  The stuff I got came with 2 Tech II transformers, and I have the PowerCab from my father-in-law.  I have a simple O track now, do I use both the transformer AND the Powercab to power the track or is it just the PowerCab?  Thanks!!

rich1998

Follow the instructions in the Power Cab manual. That is what I did and I was alone.
Been ten years.
The last LokSounds i used were LokSounds N scale v3.5 N scale Micros in HO 44 ton and 70 ton Bachmann. Follwed the decoder CV's and Power Cab instructions. Best I can do.

Use only the Power Cab. Only. Only one power source to rails.

Rich.

rich1998

Not trying to abandon you but this is part of model railroading.
Experiment. You can always do a decoder reset if you mess things up. I use to.
Take notes. You swill learn a lot. Part of the process.
I am 79 and have learned a lot over the years in my career, mistake, lessons.

Good luck.

Rich

Trainman203

I made a mistake.  😱

Cv 113 is pertinent to Soundtraxx decoders, which are in all my engines.  Not familiar with Lok sound.  You'll have to look up their equivalent cv number in their manual, then follow the Powercab instructions to change the setting.

Len

The LokPilot decoder is a later addition. You might find this useful for figuring out the CV's:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1561046/Esu-Lokpilot-Standard.html

There's a link to download the manual as a .pdf file just above the big 'ESU' logo.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

It does look like no sound.
I think why it is called a LokPilot
LokSound decoders have sound.
Not sure about any other ESU decoders.

Rich.

rich1998

Even if it had sound you must remember they run fast and probably sound like a big vacuum cleaner with the fans cooling the electrical equipment. No diesel power.
You might find some on You Tube.
I remember hearing GG1's many years ago. The locos were fast. Just not as fast.

Rich

jward

Regarding the real HHP8s: I have been fortunate enough to have seen the real hippos (MARC) in action. They quickly became my favourite of the modern electrics. Two impressions i came away with: 1. They are quiet. Not much noise except the cooling fans, and uless they are stopped at a station you really don't notice them. 2' They are FAST. their exceleration rate is phenomenal. From a standing start at Halethorpe (MD) station they will hit 60 by the time they round the curve just south of the station, maybe a half mile away. Nothing diesel that i've ever seen can get a move on that quickly.

The only electric i own is an HHP8 that's how much i like them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

My daughter was on the ICE in Germany during a business trip.. 165 MPH. now that is fast.
The driver has tp shut the vents to the passenger cars before entering a tunnel and open them after leaving the tunnel. She walked by the engine before she got on. It whispered she said.
Service is excellent.

Rich

jeffHOtrainCO

Thanks Rich, I guess that explains no sound if it is whisper quiet!!