News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

maximum grade

Started by sailnyoda, July 05, 2020, 06:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailnyoda

I am building an elevated track layout for my 4-6-0 Night before Christmas train set.
I want to have a 3% grade. Is this possible?

armorsmith

The steeper the grade, the harder the locomotive works, the less cars you can pull. Depending on which chassis you have I would not recommend more than 2 cars on a 3% grade.

Stokerman

My Annie, that has been modified to Battery R/C, easily pulls 8 - 10+ cars up a long 3% grade, and even around a 5+ ft radius curve on grade. I have another curve that includes a short segment of 6% grade, but is mostly 4 - 5% with the same radius and can still pull 6 - 8 cars, though it definitely slows noticeably in so doing.
Are we having fun yet???

armorsmith

Stokerman, if your chassis is a more updated chassis (gen 5 or 6) then you may well be able to do that. Being as the OP did not reference what chassis he has, I chose to respond on the side of caution. An older Gen 3 chassis without modifications will not stand up to the kind of loading your heavy trains will exert.

Although this site is dated, if the OP has an earlier chassis the information on this site will be what he needs to read. http://www.girr.org/girr/

Stokerman

Quote from: armorsmith on July 08, 2020, 09:42:22 AM
Stokerman, if your chassis is a more updated chassis (gen 5 or 6) then you may well be able to do that. Being as the OP did not reference what chassis he has, I chose to respond on the side of caution. An older Gen 3 chassis without modifications will not stand up to the kind of loading your heavy trains will exert.

Although this site is dated, if the OP has an earlier chassis the information on this site will be what he needs to read. http://www.girr.org/girr/

You are quite correct in doing so, of course, and yet another factor that should be considered is that of car weight, as Big Hauler cars are generally much lighter than Spectrum cars, and especially AMS cars. My Annie's performance should not be considered anything like typical for the earlier chassis configurations of the Big Hauler, so I likely should not have made that post in this thread!
Are we having fun yet???

sailnyoda

thank you all for your input. Based on the info gathered, I have a 5th. generation chassis and should handle the grade.