News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon's Layout

Started by Grumpy468, July 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Sheldon,

You do a really nice job modeling those structures.  Congrats!

Last year, I went to one of those tourist attractions where they offer train rides with old steam, mostly Shays.

They have preserved the small railroad town and people actually live in the old company houses.  One thing that struck me was how close together they were built.  Of course, I only have one example to go by. But that's one thing I would consider when planning the scenery for that area.

There was also a short, white picket fence running in front of all the houses, but I have no idea if that was preservation or a modern dalliance. And... that was West Virginia.  Perhaps it looked a little different in Canada.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  I also remember the walkways were wood planks in front of the homes, not cement. Weird.

Len

I think picket fences and wood plank walkways, except maybe near the bosses houses, are dressing things up a bit for a 'company town'. This was more the reality in West Va.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Grumpy468

Good Morning guys. Thank you for the positive replies. Yes i am going to be taking a lot of time to consider lot sizes, parking and fences. As well as wooden walkways. I bought Some different fencing kits, as well as 300 wooden match sticks and a roll of florist wire for making fences. At this time i am just trying to get a feel for the space i have. Thank you for the picture of the company row houses Len.
We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

Taz54904

Just incredible!  Wow your layout and attention to detail are awesome!
Russ Handy

Grumpy468

Thank you for the kind words. My good friend and mentor WoundedBear from this site, has been guiding me along. I guess i am a good student. I drove 8 hours last summer to spend a few days with him at his place. We have been car buddies, drag race buddies for 20 years. Then he got me into model railroading, and i really enjoy it. Sid has a beautiful layout which he has been working on for the past 10 years. His attention to detail is incredible.

I love doing it, it makes me feel good, and i forget about life for awhile when i am in the basement. :)

Grumpy468

It's been 1 week since Sid has passed away. I sat on the bench every day working on something, wishing my Friend was still here. There was one day i couldn't bring myself to go down there, every time i look at my layout i think of Sid.

May God Bless you and keep you Sid.  Thank you for teaching me as much as you did, i will never forget you.

Grumpy468

Sat down on the bench today, have not been down on that side of the basement since Sid passed away. I took a break and worked on model cars for a while. Time to get back to the train layout, i have lots to do and it is very relaxing . So i decided to make my own rural fencing, I am going to need a lot of it. I bought 300 wooden matches and a roll of florists wire.  Here is my first attempt.

Grumpy468

jward

Do you have a track plan you could post?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Grumpy468

I found a basic track plan online that would work for my table size, then just added to it out of my head to fit the table without too much crowding. I had my mainline done, then had to decided what i was going to do for commercial and industrial services. As my old Friend Wounded bear would say, "You need to justify everything that goes on the layout, it has to be real and have a purpose."

I will see if i can find the link for the basic track plan.

Sheldon.

Grumpy468

Here is what i have done in 2 years as of today.

jonathan

Careful... we almost got a shot of your face on the mirror.  ;D

Enjoying your progress.  Was looking for easy fence ideas.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Be lucky i had pants on. hahahahaha

jward

Thanks. Those photos help me see how it all fits together.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Grumpy468

Quote from: jward on January 22, 2021, 03:24:49 PM
Thanks. Those photos help me see how it all fits together.

You're welcome. Glad you like what i have done.